Had car broken into but can't view footage

On Friday my wife’s car had the window broken. Her car is within sight of the ring doorbell pro (for which I pay for the subscription) but is not within the area I selected to be notified for motion as its on the road. I am trying to view the footage more clearly but it only plays at about 5 minutes per second and is more blurry. Is there anyway to view this at the same speed as when it detects motion if I know roughly when it happened?

@SethB wrote:
On Friday my wife’s car had the window broken. Her car is within sight of the ring doorbell pro (for which I pay for the subscription) but is not within the area I selected to be notified for motion as its on the road. I am trying to view the footage more clearly but it only plays at about 5 minutes per second and is more blurry. Is there anyway to view this at the same speed as when it detects motion if I know roughly when it happened?

What you are seeing is the snapshot. As the camera is not set up for motion detection it will not have recorded full video. You can change snapshots to 30 seconds for future events

1 Like

@SethB wrote:

@SethB ,

Looking at your attached pictures, @ChrisJohn is correct that is not video footage, but rather Snapshot pictures. Snapshots are single still photographs taken every set interval. They look blurry because Shapshot photos are taken at a lower resolution of 640 x 360, because of the potential for higher-resolution storage issues.

But you should immediately download the snapshots to save them before they are deleted off the Ring Cloud, or over-written due to the following criteria:

• Snapshots will be stored in the cloud for seven days.

• Battery operated devices can only store a maximum of 2.5 MB and powered devices

30 MB worth of snapshots. Once this limit has been reached, the oldest snapshots will

be overwritten by newer ones.

Snapshot are downloaded in ‘batches’ of 15-minutes worth of pictures.

To download a snapshot, follow these instructions:

• Open your Ring App.
  • Tap the device whose snapshots you wish to download.
  • Review the Timeline
  • Place the playhead on top of the section you want deleted
  • Tap Share.
  • Tap Confirm.

Once you’ve downloaded, you can save and view these batch files. Maybe viewing them on a larger screen device, like your PC with provide more detail that can be see on your tiny phone screen (if a Snapshot was taken during the incident). To increase your future chances of a Snapshot capturing an event that was beyond the motion-triggering zone, I agree with @ChrisJohn that you should set your Video Doorbell Pro to the shortest Snapshot interval that you can (5-minutes intervals for Battery-Powered & Doorbells, and 30-seconds interval for Plug-in Video Cameras and I also think the Ring Doorbell Pro).

For more information about Snapshots:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034355652-Taking-Timeline-Security-Snapshots-Using-Snapshot-Capture#How_long_are_snapshots_held_for_viewing

I hope this helps you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@SethB and @ChrisJohn ,

Just caught a typo error. Directions should read:

To download a snapshot, follow these instructions:

• Open your Ring App.
  • Tap the device whose snapshots you wish to download.
  • Review the Timeline
  • Place the playhead on top of the section you want deleted downloaded.
  • Tap Share.
  • Tap Confirm.

@Tom_Ring , could you do a favor, and pass along that the Ring website support page has the typo “delete” instead of “download.” I had just “Cut & Pasted” the instructions off this page, not noticing the typo until now. Thank you :slight_smile:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034443672

Hey @Boone! Thank you for your attention to detail! I will get this to the appropriate team to get this corrected. Thank you for your valuable contribution to our Community! :smiley:

1 Like