Glass break sensor

I bought into Ring to get a “real” security system after spending much time trying to DIY a solution in Smartthings. Way too much cloud and third party machinations only to end up with a 'hobby" system. Ring has everything EXCEPT a real glass break sensor. Alexa is NOT an answer - not even properly integrated to trigger an alarm. Even Smartthings supports the Utilitech Z-Wave Glass Break Detector
Come on!! There are other options out there - you don’t need to re-invent the wheel. Z-Wave Glass Break
Fortunately, Ring does support some third party devices like the First Alert Z-Wave Smoke & CO Detector, so I was able to move those from Smartthings to Ring.
Please… Give us a real Glass Break Detector.
If nothing else, at least IFTTT integration would give the Community a chance to help out.
Apologies if this came across as a rant. I love my Ring - it’s a real security system. Just plug the hole.

2 Likes

Where is the glass break sensor device? It’s been few years already.

3 Likes
  1. WHERE is the glass break sensors ring? 2. How does this thread only have 293 votes! We NEED a glass break sensor! Its a basic component of any alarm. Im also not interested in Alexa guard.
3 Likes

Need a ring glass break sensor. Have Alexa and guard, but only works in away mode. I need something to monitor the basement and unoccupied areas when home as well.

1 Like

Yes, but only in away mode. I want the alarm to go off if someone tries to break in by breaking glass while we’re home too. Makes no sense to not allow that

It seems that the desire to bring people forcibly into the Amazon ecosphere is more important than meeting a clear customer need.

Why else wouldn’t they develop such a device?

With current antitrust concerns being floated regarding some of the key tech companies, ignoring customer needs to prop up a related business is anticompetitive behavior that works as evidence in those cases.

Hi neighbors! We appreciate your continued feedback regarding a glass break sensor so that we can pass this onto the appropriate teams. While it may not be exact to your request and we do not have a Glass Break sensor at this time; Alexa Guard through your Echo device is able to detect sounds of glass breaking and alert you accordingly. To learn more about how Alexa Guard can work with your Ring Alarm for glass breaking, check out this Community post here. For more information about Alexa Guard vs. Alexa Guard Plus, please also check out our Help Center article here.

We thank you all for your continued feedback in this thread, and if we are able to bring a standalone Glass Break sensor to our Ring neighbors, we will make sure we update this thread accordingly.

This IS NOT a solution! It does nothing but notify you. Stop telling people this is a solution. The mic in the echo is not tuned for glass breaking frequencies and does not have a shock sensor to detect a hit. Disgusting that you and your company feel this is a glass break sensor and a terrible way to push your stupid devices on everyone

3 Likes

So as I understand it, there is no solution to notify me that an intruder has broken into my house through a broken window in the middle of the night while I slept through the sound because it was very far from my actual bedroom? Because of this people WILL die because Ring only has solutions for this problem which work when nobody is home. I’m not sure about everyone else but I place my life above the value of my stuff but apparently Ring doesn’t see things the same way. Unfortunately, even when someone dies I doubt the company will see this as necessary. I expect someone already has died.

Thinking I probably should have stayed with simplisafe, at least my mom is safe with my old alarm system.

4 Likes

Actually so disappointed that ring doesn’t offer glass break detectors. We were just about to buy and switch over to them as our alarm providers. Guess we will look else where until Ring shows they’re actually open to suggestions from their customers. I see this conversation has been going on since 2019, and absolutely nothing has been done. You’d think 2 years would be long enough to release or come up with something.

3 Likes

As is readily apparent, this is not a solution. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes please can we have this in the alarm range, rather that a work around using Alex.

Can’t believe the Ring Security system doesn’t have a Glass Break detector (or a system specific Smoke detector for that matter).

2 Likes

Like everyone else in this thread, this is a significant gap in the detection the Alarm system offers. All the competitors have them so they cannot be that hard to develop. But I guess from Marley’s rubbish response that they would prefer you to buy an Echo. Shame.

1 Like

Not a solution at all! I wouldn’t even call this a band-aid. Pathetic response. Get true glass break sensors like EVERY OTHER ALARM MANUFACTURER IN THE WORLD!

For the smoke detector they work with First Alert which actually has professional monitor capabilities when added to the system. This makes more sense to me than them trying to come out with their own version.

Also agree that its unbelievable that after a year and a half we still don’t have a glass break sensor. This is something every other security company offers and their customers want.

Does Ring actually listen to its customers?

2 Likes

Alexa Guard is not available in the UK so we have nothing at all

PLEASE add glass break sensors to your inventory Ring. We have been faithful customers for several years, but the lack of this feature is glaringly obvious. We have Alexa Guard setup, but it only works if we’re away from the house. We would like glass break sensors to be active when we’re sleeping at night with the alarm set to “Home” mode. With all the other companies offering glass break sensors, it seems like a no-brainer that Ring should make this option available as well.

I would definitely like to see this feature, or at least the ability to use Echo Guard when in Home Mode. Not sure why you wouldn’t want to monitor for that when you are home or away.

Here it is, Shipping 2/16/22