Gen One Sensors Failing Causing False Tamper Alarms. Four our of 14 sensors have failed so far

I’ve had my system for four or five years now. So far I’ve had to replace four out of fourteen sensors because the sensors start giving erroneous tamper alerts that cause false alarms in the middle of the night. This has happened numerous times.

Initially, I thought it was a fluke. I followed Ring’s instructions and checked to make sure the sensor was properly fixed to the window/door, checked the battery, made sure the cover was attached properly, and reset the sensor in the app. Every time I do that, that same sensor gives another false tamper alert, which will cause the alarm to go off if the alarm is set.

I have replaced two of the sensors with Gen 2 sensors and since I replaced those sensors, I haven’t had an issue. But it seems like until I replace the sensor, the false tamper alerts will continue.

I would like Ring to respond because this is not just a fluke. This is four separate sensors over the course of about two years that have caused at least six false alarms in the middle of the night. Not only does that give me a mini heart attack every time it happens, but it wakes me up and ruins my sleep for the night.

I have searched and this issue is well documented. It seems like Ring knows there is an issue but has not attempted to address it other than providing the same canned response about resetting the sensor in the app.

I’m really annoyed because the sensors aren’t cheap and at this point, the only way I would have any confidence in my system to not wake up with false alarms is to replace all of the remaining sensors, which will be expensive.

1 Like

Hi @user11200. I suggest looking over the steps in this Help Center article here. This has steps for resetting your Contact Sensor (1st Gen). If you continue to have issues after performing a factory reset, I’d suggest reaching out to our support team for further assistance. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.