Floodlight Camera Detects Steam As A Person

My floodlight camera detects steam as a person and gives me an alert and turns the light on. I cant move the camera away from pipe at the side of the house and cant adjust the motion zone as its a path i want to monitor. It means i get an alert everytime a hot water tap is turned on.

I’m happy to provide footage to anyone from ring to help the intelligents of the cameras going forward.

Hi @Spectron2k. It sounds like the steam is triggering the Passive Infrared Sensor on your Floodlight Cam. The sensors detect shifts in temperature and translate it into Motion Detection. This Help Center article here has more information about this Motion Detection. I hope this is helpful.

Hi @Tom_Ring, I am also seeing this issue. Is it something that is/can be improved or is the workaround just to exclude it from the motion zone?

Hi @BW97. I’m happy to chime in here. Other than adjusting your Motion Zones, you can also try decreasing the Motion Sensitivity to see if that helps.

Dear Ring Support Team,

I am writing to you again regarding the ongoing issue with your security camera system during the winter season. The problem of false alarms triggered by steam from our boiler, even with the smart filter activated, persists.

I want to emphasize that this is not an isolated issue. Many users in the UK may be facing similar challenges, indicating a broader problem that needs your attention. If the current smart filter feature is ineffective in distinguishing between steam and actual human activity, then upgrading this feature or introducing new options would be a significant improvement for numerous users.

I suggest that you evaluate and upgrade the filtering system to more accurately address such situations. This would greatly enhance user experience and reduce unnecessary disturbances. We understand that technological development and implementation take time, but we hope you can prioritize this matter and keep us updated on any progress regarding these improvements.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your reply and the solutions you can provide.

Sincerely,

Michael

Hi @mvu. I do understand that it can be frustrating when a home security device doesn’t perfectly fit into your home. There are so many different factors at play that can impact the motion detection, including something like steam from a boiler. Everyone’s home and installation will vary to some degree as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

Hi All,

The boiler steam is setting off my Ring floodlight as well.

I have tried creating a lights off schedule during the time the boiler is active but this seems to be ignored as the floodlights activate every time the boiler fires up.

I have also tried adjusting the motion zone to exclude the area where the steam is visible but that doesn’t seem to help either

Any ideas why the lights off schedule solution isn’t working ?

Hi @Nicknack. Try deleting the Light Schedule, then rebooting the Floodlight Cam by using the reboot option on the Device Health page. After the reboot is done, set the Light Schedule back up. If that doesn’t resolve this, I’d suggest reaching out to our support team at one of the numbers available here. You can also get in touch with our support team on Facebook @Ring.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.