Floodlight cam lights on/off no longer function with smartthings

I have used a smart switch to control my lights by using smartthings (automation is when switch turns on, action = ring cam lights on; and when switch turns off, action = ring cam lights off). Worked great. The switch no longer controls the lights, and I see the action in smartthings is no longer lights on/off but rather “unknown action” - and the only available action for the cam in smartthings automations is “refresh”. Net is I no longer can control my outdoor lighting with the switches in my house. I replaced my existing outdoor floodlights a couple of years ago with Ring spotlight cams ONLY because there was at least one documented way to use a switch to turn on/off the lights (via smartthings, not Alexa as you would have expected) Now suddenly my entire back yard and my driveway are dark and the solution is that only the one person with a phone who can authenticate to my Ring account can dig into the app to turn on/off the lights? This means you can’t just hit the switch and walk out the door, the kids can’t turn on the lights, guests can’t turn on the lights… you get it. As useful lights, these are now simply no better than bricks and are about to be dumped (a great investment of hundreds of dollars thrown away). Can anybody tell me how I can turn on/off the lights using a switch now that some unknown Ring change has been made?

1 Like

I have a similar issue. Alexa no longer has access to the flood lights on the camera. Betting they removed it. If so, canceling the server ce and trashing the lights.

Hey neighbors. Ring does not officially support an integration with SmartThings and any integration that is currently in use would be maintained and updated by the SmartThings team. It’s for this reason that some features may not work if you chose to use this integration. I can certainly pass this feedback along to the appropriate team for you!

Hi Tom, not even Alexa sees the lights of the Floodlight camera now, the only way to control the lights is on the Ring app.
It has to be something with the Ring API, it’ll be a great coincidence if Alexa and Smartthings removed the functionality.

1 Like

This is Smartthings response:
“Regards to your concern as part of the transition to a new integration on the SmartThings side we had to move to a new offering from Ring. This new offering from Ring does not support the light control features.
We understand that this is a loss of functionality compared to the Groovy integration. As far as I know Ring is aware that this is a feature our users relied upon in SmartThings and would like to see the feature carried over into the new integration. We can continue to advocate on behalf of our users but are ultimately limited in what functionality the new integration supports.”

TL;DR: Ring updated the integration with loss of functionality

This is really a great inconvenience, one of the motives why I bought this camera was because I could use the lights with a switch (smartthings automation) but now it’s just a motion light that needs the Ring app to turn on or off if you need it to… Too expensive for this lack of functionality

2 Likes

Tom - From my interactions with SmartThings they informed me it was Ring that removed the functionality. Much like TavoX1 has said…

What is the point of having the lights if I can only turn them on by keeping my phone on me and opening in and out of the app to turn them out. Completely useless now

He @taylordhunt. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I’ve shared this information with the appropriate team. If there is anything else I can assist you with in the meantime, don’t hesitate to ask!

Really ■■■■■■ with this. Have been using this functionality, very annoying that it has been removed.

I’m also very disappointed. We invested in several floodlights in addition to the doorbell and now all of our extremely useful/essential automations are gone. May sell it all and move to google and other tech. Did ring remove this feature because Amazon now has a competing offering for automation? Not cool. Evil, in fact.

@Tom_Ring Has there been any update on the light control from alexa or smartthings? As others have mentioned and I have posted in another thread, the loss of functionality was caused when Ring upgraded the integrations.

1 Like

Any updates on this? This is clearly a loss of functionality and is really causing many users like myself to consider other options.

If we had a confirmation that yes this issue is being worked and we can expect to have that functionality restored I think most would be patient enough to wait for an update. Absent that sort of confirmation, it really pushes us towards alternative products.

3 Likes

@Ant_1 @RacerX7
Found a workaround for this problem. It requires a little bit of work but it solves the issue. I can control the lights again with my switch/voice!!
Follow this instructions:

*Had to edit a previous response as you’re allowed only 3 per post. :-/ … and only allowed to mention 2 other users

3 Likes

Hi, neighbors! We’re sorry to hear SmartThings has lost the ability to control your Ring camera’s lights; rest assured that our team is investigating to ensure there is nothing more that can be done from our side. At this time, it looks to be related to a change in the SmartThings device listings. Feel free to look into alternative features within the Ring app or with Amazon Alexa for the time being. If there’s anything else I can help with in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to ask. :slightly_smiling_face:

Agree with the comments in this thread, its very frustrating that Ring removed this integration. I was about to upgrade 3 Floodlight cams to the pro versions, but will be holding off until the switch integration to Smartthings is restored. Anyone have any alternative solutions?

I also agree. This is a big loss in functionality. A lot of my automations can no longer run. This should definitely get remedied. Thanks!

I had my floodlight set to turn on between dusk and dawn when I arrived home.
Now I’m arriving home at night in complete darkness.
I too would appreciate a fix for this, as it’s really annoying.
I have another camera system in place, so, might just be easier to ditch the floodlight and put a standard fixture in with a smart bulb.
Sucks, because I have another floodlight out back and a pro doorbell.

Between the loss of Smarthings/Alexa control of the floodlight light (which was a big reason I bought the product and hard-wired it in) and upcoming deprecation of the Mac desktop app, I’m wondering what Ring thinks it’s doing. Tech products are supposed to get better as software evolves, not worse.

1 Like

Going to add my name to the list. Found this community because the functionality that I enjoyed – controlling my Ring Floodlight Cameras through Smartthings Webcore – suddenly stopped working. I will absolutely find a new solution if this isn’t restored. It’s the number 1, 2 and 3 reason that I bought all three of my floodlight cameras.

Great way to lose a customer.

2 Likes

Any update on this? I used to have a routine to ensure my floodlight was on any time the garage door is open and now Ring has broken it. When will it be fixed? I can understand that SmartThings isn’t officially supported but Alexa is and that’s broken too.

1 Like

I’m also about to give up and ditch everything Ring (including the monthly security service). Please give us some good news. Now that the days are getting shorter we are really noticing the lack of the automations as we come and go. Can’t believe we spent so much on ring security, lights and cameras only to have the rug pulled out from under us.