Floodlight cam is buzzing loudly

Update: problem seems to be related to the siren aspect. the siren does not come on or override the constant buzzing. My guess would be faulty internal wires. Probably getting too hot and melting device wires and causing some sort of short in the ring itself. I’ve seen many companies use the wrong wiring that just can’t handle the circuit. Or it’s something in the motherboard that can’t take the heat. All I know for sure is it needs to be fixed or discontinued

2 Likes

Same issue here.

I am a qualified electrician. All wiring has been tested

I’ve even removed the device and powered it up else where! Same problem.

Gave up hope and left the unit disconnected. It seems ‘ring’ don’t want support this. This is a internal problem, I will end up pulling this apart as I’ve just purchased a different brand flood light

2 Likes

Same buzzing sound happened at 2:00AM last night for the first time. My floodlight cam was installed by a licensed electrician 18 months ago. I think this is a big flaw in the product and Ring should take the responsibility of recalling it.

1 Like

Just experiencing this issue first time this morning. Very disappointed as I have over a dozen of the flood lights and the thought of ditching the brand will be costly. I will call support shortly and better hear they are sending me a replacement.

I’m having the same issue. Loud buzzing sound. Flood cam was installed by an electrician. Just had another electrician out to tell me that unit is correctly installed & it’s a device problem… Can anyone tell me please if this issue has been able to be resolved?

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I have the same problem, I hear a white noise coming out whenever there is no communication. When I communicate the sound is perfectly clear and the white noise disappears. Only to appear again when the camera is idle.

Same problem here. Unit is 1 year old. No problems until now. I was able to unplug and restart and the noise stopped. We are not here often so I’m anxious to see if it happens again.

I’ve had my Ring Spotlight cam 2+ years with no problems. Now I’m getting a buzzing sound that won’t stop even after turning power off and on again. From the other posts here it looks like it’s a common Ring problem. What is the fix? Replacement with updated model that doesn’t do this? Thanks

Hi neighbors! As mentioned in the marked solution, we recommend following up with our support team if you’re hearing any sort of buzzing noise coming from your Ring Camera. Our support team can run through any applicable troubleshooting steps with you and determine the best solution. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I have the same issue, let’s hop Ring stop sticking their heads in the sand before one of their faulty units causes a fire.

2 Likes

Hi neighbors! If you’re hearing any sort of buzzing noise from your Floodlight Cam, there are some basic troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve this concern. You can try the steps below:

• Consult a qualified electrician to review the wiring to your Floodlight Cam to ensure everything looks like it’s installed correctly. You can find installation instructions here.
  • Power cycle your Floodlight Cam by disconnected power at the breaker for about one minute before reconnecting power.
  • Reset your Floodlight Cam by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is done, set the Camera back up using the steps under Set Up a Device in the Ring app.

If the buzzing sound persists after trying these steps, or if you have any safety concerns with your device, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Just bought brand new spotlight cam and stickup cam combo from Costco. Started buzzing (static) on power up, even before joining wireless network. After initial setup, static would happen only when device was idle. When I connected for 2-way audio, it would become silent. As soon as I disconnected, static came back. Called support and submitted video/audio of problem. They agreed it was a defective unit and advised returning.
I performed same test after unit was powered for 24hours and static persisted even when 2-way audio enabled. Did not go away as before.
‘Health check’ shows good signal strength (-59) and no other problems.
I personally feel blaming wireless signal strength or power feed is BS.
Support was super nice and respectful. No problems at all with that aspect!
I will be exchanging for new unit and hoping it is just a manufacturing defect on this unit.

I pushed the reset button on top of the floodcams camera and the buzzing went away, however, i had to hold reset twice for 20 second each. The first reset turned on the floodlight. The 2nd reset turned off the buzzing. I then had to reconnect the cam to my wifi network. Now my cam is working normally, without buzzing sound.

3 Likes

Hi @user20961. Glad to hear that you were able to fix this!

1 Like

Hi, @user20961 . Thank you for the possible fix. I’ve had this Spotlight cam for over 3 yrs w/o any issues and it just recently started emitting a buzzing noise. I’ll try your solution when I get home. Finally, someone with a possible solution other than call support, contact support, blah blah blah.

1 Like

I was alerted by my neighbor that my floodlight cam is making a very loud buzzing noise. I can hear it when I do live view as well. As I am not home, how can I reset this or make it stop so my neighbors dont have to hear this?

1 Like

Hi @user23771. There is a new feature where you can reboot the Camera from the Ring app even if you are not home. If that does not help the concern, you will have to continue the steps that are marked as the solution. I hope this helps.

2023 here. I had a spotlight for 6 years and just experienced the buzzing 5 minutes ago.

I am a PhD electrical engineer and had the unit professionally installed 6 years ago with zero issues.

Please Ring- don’t insult me saying I should have it professionally installed.

I suspect that the integrity of the PCB or components have failed over time and were not properly spec’d for sustained performance across the seasons in North America.

I would love a better and qualified response here.

Hi @boottrax. If the steps in the solution do not help with your concern, give our support team a call for further assistance.