Feature Release: Live View Widget

Hi neighbors, we are rolling out a new Live View widget for the Ring app on both iOS and Android. This widget will allow you to launch the Live View for a chosen Ring Doorbell or Camera with one tap (excluding the Ring Intercom). Currently, there will be one format of the widget for your phone’s Home screen that can contain one Ring Doorbell or Camera. To add an additional Camera or Doorbell, add another Ring widget to your Home screen.

How to add the Ring widget:

On iOS:

• From the Home Screen, touch and hold a widget or an empty area until the apps jiggle.
  • Tap the Add + button in the upper-left corner.
  • Select a widget (Ring), choose a widget size, then tap Add Widget.
  • Tap Done.
  • Press and hold on widget → Edit widget → Choose available Ring Doorbell or Camera.

On Android:

• Press and hold on the Ring app icon and choose widgets → Place widget on a Home screen and choose Ring Doorbell or Camera
  • Press and hold on the Home screen and choose widgets → Search for Ring and Place found widget on a Home screen → choose Ring Doorbell or Camera.

As with all new features, this will be on a slow rollout until it is available for all neighbors. This means you may not receive the update at the same time as other neighbors. This feature is on Ring app version 5.58 for iOS and 3.58 for Android. We recommend keeping both the Ring app and your phone’s operating software updated with the latest versions available. For more information on the Live View widget, check out our Help Center article here.

4 Likes

I am on iOS 16.3.1, Ring 5.58.1 and I have no widgets available. When I search for Ring in widgets nothing comes up and when I long press the Ring app icon there are no widget options.

Can you make the widget smaller on Android? No need to have the widget that large, thanks.

2 Likes

I installed the widget on my iOS device 16.3.1. Ring app 5.58.1
I just see a 4 tile size white box with a light gray box inside it. I edited the widget to pick one of my devices. Nothing changed. I also rebooted no change. It’s only use is to open the app which the app icon can easily do.

1 Like

Hi @Slwf. Verifying your Ring app version and rebooting your phone were excellent steps to take to address your concern. If you have followed the steps in the article in our Help Center to use Live View Widgets and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Thank you - is there anything in the works for a widget related to Alarm? I would love a simple widget that allows quick mode view and switching between modes. Thanks,
Phil

1 Like

Hi @lerossp. Thank you for the feedback! I’d recommend adding this suggestion to our Feature Request board, to allow other neighbors to vote and add interest on your idea. :slight_smile:

The ring wigets are more or less useless. The RAPID RING APP was the best if you have more than one cam I have 7. In a security situation through widgets is slow and multi level access to other cams. Nice try but hire an IT team that is not from an elementary school to come up with an app better than RR. RAPID RING was the best if you have a ring cam and looking to expand Ring is NOT the answer!

A very disappointed customer

2 Likes

Please add a widget that lets us quickly change our alarm to Disarmed, Home, and Away. Doesn’t even need to launch the app.

3 Likes

Widget needs to be an updated image from the camera. Other widgets for cheap Foscam baby cameras have had that feature for years. Why wouldnt a premium device like Ring have this out of the gate?

4 Likes

This is exactly that I thought it was going to do , not just open the all a d mmbd live stream the camera. I’d of liked the live feed when motion is triggered to play within the widget window or Notification area but that is OS dependant

I got the same issue.
I am on

• iOS 16.6
  • app 5.62

And see same “empty” widget.

When pressed just opens ring app.

Changing camera to other makes no difference.

Seems fixed after iPhone restart

3 Likes

This new widget is useless. Its just as fast to open the app. Also this sucks for the Fridge with tablet in it because you cant see all the cameras at a glance. Ring you really need to step it up for the amount of money you charge!

Hi, I have been having nothing but problems since installing this new widget. I noticed after installation that I could no longer answer door cam in live feed whilst on a call on phone and now not getting live feed on this same camera this morning. Live view is working on all other cameras. To be sure I uninstalled the door cam and reconnected to my wifi after restarting router. Also uninstalled app and reinstalled all to no avail. Also happening on my windows laptop.Any idea why this is happening please.