Feature Request Board

Browse posts, comment and give us recommendations for improvement about features on Ring.com and in the Ring app.
S
Extend the length of Live View (24/7 recording)
live-view
app-request
There is currently a 10 minute limit on each live view session, so it stops me from using the indoor camera as an effective baby monitor, or using the doorbell cameras to monitor when I'm waiting for some activity to happen in front of the house. Please make this limit configurable, extend it, or eliminate it for local network viewing.

26-03-2020 06:15:01

Responses (283)

S
I don't understand why Ring is SO resistant to allowing continuous recording as an option. Nest does it, Unifi does it, almost EVERYONE else allows it as an option. Ring needs to allow this to be competitive with the market. I understand that it would not be reasonable for battery cameras, but all of mine are mains powered. MANY people have mains powered cameras. I understand that it will take up a lot of storage space, charge me a fee for the feature! I do have my motion sensitivity turned all of the way down so it is almost always recording. I have the people sensing feature OFF so it should record as much as possible, but they still do miss things on a regular basis. I do have the still images in between clips enabled...but that is still NOT the same as having a 100% coverage of what happened in that space over time. Even the clip browser is poor with its constant buffering etc. I have one Nest camera and it is by FAR more useable in regards to scanning a timeline.

24-04-2020 05:28:21

Q
I'm bumping this because I'm having internet outages frequently and the ring cams go offline and NOTHING is being recorded. A local storage device would be nice. Keeps a backup locally and offloads when the internet is available or when it's done recording.

11-05-2020 12:52:20

J
I switched from Nest to Ring and regret it because of this single feature. Ring has many benefits, but the lack of continuous recording is a huge hole. I agree, charge me more. Nest was not perfect, but I didn't even have this as a criteria because I lacked the understanding that Ring didn't hve this. It's a problem when the recording stops at 30 seconds while it's in the middle of the action. E.g. someone is at our front door, we catch a few seconds, and recording stops. It defeats the purpose of having the system if it misses activity. I have 14 Ring cams and am totally regreting it. I would gladly pay for the extra bandwidth and storage.

18-05-2020 10:39:48

A
Absolutely agree with this - and I was also infuriated to find out my new security cameras did not always record. This is the primary function of the device - I would understand if it was missing some of the gimmicks and extra features - but this is outrageous! The "People Only Mode" is not very accurate, as I discovered after an attempted car theft. I had this mode turned on (to minimise alerts from cats/ birds/ leaves blowing around etc), but the floodlight cam only recorded the criminals walking away from the driveway, after spending 10 minutes trying to steal my car by breaking into my home. I tried scrolling back through the footage to show the police but only saw a 'snapshot' clip which is extremely poor resolution too. I then had to resort to asking my neighbours to check their footage as my Ring camera had let me down BIG TIME. Now, I have turned off the People Only Mode for obvious reasons, but even with the sensitivity turned all the way up it still misses things, and I'm left with similar frustrations all over again. I would gladly pay extra for this as an option to cover the additional storage required, and it is disappointing that such an obviously essential feature has to be requested by the community. To the team at Ring, sort it out folks. Thanks.

17-08-2020 11:05:10

S
I completly agree! As much as the devices cost, as much as the subscriptions cost and as popular as the brand is..... we should have competive features by now too.

21-08-2020 02:14:51

U

Agreed, we should be able to select a length of time to timeout or prevent it altogether…

19-02-2024 10:14:27

H
I have the same issue, I also use the indoor cam as a baby monitor.

09-05-2020 08:01:37

S
Create a feature that allows any wired device to record footage 24/7 as an option

09-05-2020 10:21:25

J
When will the new feature be added to ring protect.For 24hour monitoring? UK residents.

21-07-2020 08:49:50

K
It would be awesome if I can run Live View continuously and not for a short period of time.

10-05-2020 05:59:54

S
I know! We need this too!

28-06-2020 05:03:44

R
Agreed. This should be a built in feature. The 10 minute restriction is a huge flaw in the design of the Ring cameras: [https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Live-view-continuous-viewing/td-p/5959](https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Live-view-continuous-viewing/td-p/5959 "Live View 10 Minute Restriction Flaw")

19-07-2020 04:02:46

N
Agreed. I already left a one star rating in amazon due to this limitation. I always assume Live View is continuous and never thought about it has a time limitation. It has never been listed in the amazon product page when I bought the camera. It's a very misleading marketing.

22-07-2020 07:31:59

S
If you voted for this you should vote for the existing similar request: [https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Extend-the-length-of-Live-View/idc-p/49836#M1713](https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Extend-the-length-of-Live-View/idc-p/49836#M1713)

25-07-2020 02:38:42

T
I am only getting 10 seconds on my new Video Doorbell 3 Plus. I went into setting to see if I could update and there is nothing to change there.

13-08-2021 11:55:36

C
I changed my security system to ring because I thought the two way talk was an awesome feature. I did not know when I switched that it didn’t offer 24/7 recording. I really miss that with my previous security system and I don’t understand why ring does not do this. Yes, motion detection is nice but it would be nice on top of 24/7 recording and play back of any moment, not just motion detection. I would like to keep this but I will have to switch back in order to have the 24/7 recording options. I wish you could add 24/7 recording like all other security systems on the market right now.

31-05-2020 06:57:04

R
i second the wish for 24/7 recording. It helps with the possibility my camera doesnt pick up motion, but maybe it catches something at a neighbors house. the 24/7 ability will make ring just that much better. I consider the lack of 24/7 recording a majot feature loss for Ring

06-08-2020 06:19:28

J
Bump. Yes, this feature is sorely needed by Ring. Between 2 residences, I have a total of 10 Ring cameras. At this point, I am too far in to switch to the Nest Platform but the lack of 24/7 recording is something that would prevent me from going with Ring if I was getting started now. My neighbors with Nest cameras have been able to capture recent criminal activities int he neighborhood that my cameras have missed out on due to the lack of this feature. Please follow through with this feature that was originally promised in 2018-19

15-09-2020 05:44:16

C
I might be switching because my cameras miss too much activity on my street. I am in a nice area but I have a walk through from a Main Street and constantly have different people walking through. My daughters friends bike was stolen after being outside my house for 10 mins. Camera didn't catch anything. My dash hound/beagle mix caught a bird and killed it and only caught on camera after he already had the bird and walked in front of camera. Definitely did my research on cameras before I made my purchase and was told 24/7 recording would be implemented. Almost a year later and nothing yet. Very frustrating and feel it's a waste of money at this point.

15-09-2020 07:04:37

S
I agree. I wish that they would add this. My neighbor's car got broken into and my wired camera was in direct view. But that wasn't in my motion zone, if it recorded 24/7 I would have the footage. Really hope they add this!

25-10-2020 02:25:00

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User