Echo Show 8 mic not working

I am having the exact same issue with the show 5, works perfectly from the ring app on my phone!

Exact same issue with new ring doorbell wired and echo show 5. Only works for 2 way communication if if manually ask Alexa to answer front door. When doorbell is pressed and live view automatically comes on no matter how many times I press unmute two way communication will not work. Brought echo show 5 specifically to use with ring doorbell as I donā€™t have any other use for it as I have several Google Home hub devices which do everything I need except automatically show a live view from ring doorbell when pressed and I assumed as Amazon own ring that there devices would and should work flawlessly together but unfortunately that was wishful thinking on my part. Please sort this out ASAP

Same issue here on a brand new Wired Doorbell and Echo Show 8. Bought the Echo Show mainly to use with my doorbell. So, pretty disappointed with this issue and might return the Echo Show if this isnā€™t fixed. With so many people experiencing this issue, hopefully Ring/Amazon are working on fixing this soon.

1 Like

Same issue here. New echo show 5 with new wired ring doorbell. The caller at the door can not hear the echo show if ring call button is pressed outside.

Not sure what to do now. I suppose I will have to return both items. I will keep them if Ring replies with a time frame for the fix.

How can it be that this post was set to ā€œSolved by Tom_Ring in post #41"? Apart from helpless excuses, there is no competent support to be seen here, let alone a solution.

It is obvious that hundreds of people here have the same problem with the same symptoms and it should not be a big problem for RING to reproduce it.

Iā€™ll now watch this for a few more days to see if RING finally gives the impression of really wanting to solve the problem. Otherwise, Iā€™ll return the device and only use competitor products from now on.

This customer support is a complete and total disaster!

1 Like

Same issue as everyone else.

I have Video Doorbell wired and 2 x Echo Show 8 Gen1 and mic does not work when answering the doorbell from echo.

I have spoken to ring customer service twice, 1st time yesterday where I went through all the steps mentioned in this forum (resetting, relinking etc.) and no resolution. So after reading this forum I rang them again today (7/7/21) and told them I did not want to go through the same steps again and referred them to this forum and then asked what is being done about it. To my surprise the answer was the devices are incompatible and I should contact Amazon to return both the doorbell and the echo shows. After pressing a little more to find out if there will ever be a resolution they agreed to contact their advanced technical teams, i was put on hold and when they eventually came back to me I got the same answer they are not compatible!

This is so disappointing and surprising given Amazon owns both companies and advertises them both functioning together. Iā€™m not sure what to do now, like others I have drilled holes for the installation so ideally donā€™t want to return the products.

Is there any scope for compensation? false advertising?

Surprisingly I have some how managed to get ā€¦ when the ring door bell activates and Alexa announces there is some one at the door, I can open the Alexa app on iPhone and select camera (ring doorbell) it thenā€¦ connects, you can see an image and you get the choice to press to activate speaker and / or microphone.
Just to clarify itā€™s not selecting the notification or the ring app.
I know this is not a solution but it is amazing as Iā€™m sure I read that the Alexa app doesnā€™t work with the ring door bell.
Can some one else try this to see if it works for them too. Because then it must be a programming issue.

App works fine for me. 2 way communication is ok when the doorbell is rung on my phone. Echo dot can communicate 2 ways with the ā€œAlexa talk to front doorā€ command but when someone rings the bell and you say ā€œAlexa answer the front doorā€ or any other command you can hear the person at the front door but they can not hear you. It took me a while to find that you have to use the ā€œAlexa hang upā€ command to stop the 2 way (or rather 1 way) communication. Iā€™m furious that Iā€™ve wasted a day of my life on this.

Iā€™ve been having the same issue with Echo Show 8 and Ring Video Doorbell Wired; mic not working when answering doorbell.

Iā€™ve found a fix that worked for me. I went to Ring App - Settings - Device Settings - Notification Settings - Rich Notifications and turned off rich notifications. Echo Show now functions as it should and the Mic works once you answer by touching the on-screen mic icon.

As a test, I re-enabled the Rich Notifications, and the mic stopped working again.

Anyone else find this fix works for them?

I donā€™t think Rich Notifications are enabled by default - I remember enabling this before I got the Echo Show, because it sounded like a nice feature when answering using the mobile app! However, not at the expense of the Mic not working from the Show!

2 Likes

@Rab_Fixit thanks a lot for the tip. Will try that out to see if that works here too!

IT FIXED THE PROBLEM on my Echo Show 5 and Ring doorbell just purchased. Initial alert message on your Ring Phone app does not include a screen shot of the person at the door when you turn OFF ā€œRich Notificationsā€, but you can review after you get into Ring Phone app (Samsung Galaxy 8).

1 Like

I just installed Echo Show 5 and Ring doorbell yesterday, downloaded the Ring Mobile app and my default was the ā€œRich Notificationsā€ ON. This may be the new default setting/enhancement/update that created the ā€œbugā€ that requires the fix.

Tried the above with ā€œRich Notificationsā€ off and this does NOT solve it on my Echo Show 8. I have also noticed a secondary issue that after the screen shows the Ring door bell, music (after the Ring display from door bell) sounds terrible, zero bass and like your in a wind tunnel. Anyone else noticed this? (a restart solves it but thatā€™s no answer!)

This fixed it for me turning off Rich Notifications. Thanks.

Maybe Ring can fix it now that the community has diagnosed this issue.

I confirm the workaround FIXED the issue for me! :+1:

1 Like

Looks like my solution is fixing the problem for most users. Please would @Tom_Ring or @Marley_Ring feed this back to the App development team so that we can get this issue properly fixed soon.

If ā€˜Rich Notificationsā€™ is now the default setting, many more users are going to be having this issue.

Thanks

I have had the same problem with my Ring Doorbell in Germany as described in this thread. I changed a couple settings today that may have resolved it.

I changed my Echo Show 5 language to English (not German or English+German), and changed my Amazon.de account language to English. After that, my Echo Show seemed to respond correctly to the doorbell. I donā€™t know if it was the Echo Show language setting, the Amazon account language setting or both that did it (or maybe it was just coincidence), but if you are having this problem it may be worth 10 minutes to try these changes.

Good luck!

I have the exact same problem with the Ring Wired Doorbell and the Echo Show 5 Gen2.

If I connect via talk, then two way comms works, but answering the door and switching the mic on will not work.

I will also say, I just purchased both of these items, solely for this purpose of using them as a video door bell system together, I had a Ring back when they first started out, it was crap, I hated it, I took to it with hammer, I through it in the trash, I felt better, so after many years and Amazon buying them, I though maybe they have their crap togetherā€¦I was wrong.

Amazon should sack the entire Ring team and hand this product over to the Alexa team to sort out, maybe then it will work correctly.

I wont hold my breath that this will get fixed before the heat death of the universe, so Iā€™m off to Homebridge and Iā€™ll create my own software work around for this issue.

Disabilng Rich Notifications did NOT fix the issue for me, my echo show 8 microphone still doesnā€™t work. I will try to change the echo show language to English today and try again. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s some big with localized versions of the software, and most people in the US donā€™t have it.

I have the same problem. The Echo Showā€™s microphone does not work with my Ring Wired when the doorbell rings. Evidently it is a BUG between the ring and the Amazon Echoā€™s. It works perfectly with the ring app in my phone. Please, this bug has been going on for over two months and Ring has not been able to fix this problem? Itā€™s the main reason why you buy a Ring and it doesnā€™t work.