Doorbell not working despite being hardwired - status showing as battery critically low

@dereko wrote: " . . . the fact that the battery only takes a tricle charge from the hardwire implies that the doorebell should be working from the mains connetcion and only utilise the battery as a backup i.e. where there is a failure in the hardwire connection."

Hello @dereko , just to clarify upon what @Marley_Ring said. Your Doorbell cannot and does not work off main-connection power. It always runs via Battery power, regardless if you have hardware connection supplying current or not. The “Ring Video Doorbell Pro” is the only exception that I’m aware of and it runs off the hardwired power (and you didn’t specify what model doorbell you own). For all other RIng Doorbells, the hardwired can ONLY trickle-charge the battery . . . the hardwired alone cannot run the doorbell.

Also, double-check your app. On the Doorbell setting page, in the upper-right-corner you should see the Battery Icon with a lightening-bolt in it. If the lightening-bolt is not in the Battery Icon, then your hardwired is NOT trickle-charging, even if the wires are connected. Also, look at Doorbell’s “Device Health” page and it should have “Power Source” as “Hardwired.”

If you do not see the lightening-bolt or the word “Hardwired”, then your battery is not charging, even if the hard-wires are physically connected. If you don’t see these, there is a possibility that your Doorbell has only been running on the battery for a long time (without getting recharged), and then once the battery became critically low, it stopped working.

You should fix your settings if you app doesn’t indicated that you are Hardwired. You may have to redo the setup to ensure that indeed you switch from Power Source - Battery to Power Source Hardwired. I’ve heard claims from others, of instances where the initial set up was performed BEFORE the wires were supplying electrical power, and possibly the Doorbell did not “see” the external power and therefore defaulted to Battery Only and will not charge . . . even if the hard-wires were connected later.

I hope you might find this helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes