Custom Modes

Was about to buy a 10 piece alarm + additional accesories during the Prime event, and then discovered via this board that the Ring Alarm has only 2 zones ! Unfortunately I’ve had to empty my cart and abandon the purchase.

There appears to be a lack of understanding by Ring of how people use Alarm Systems and of the protection needed / provided by the 3rd zone.

With my existing alarm I have 3 zones set which are (these are customisable):

1. Perimeter - Alarms all the door contacts - I use this when in the house during the day / evening

2. Partial - Alarms all the door contacts + the downstairs motion sensors - I use this after going to bed.

3. Full - Arms everything upon leaving house

What Ring seem to have overlooked is the criticallity of having the (3rd) Zone ie Partial Zone.

Without this, any householder is left totally vulnerable after going to bed.

This zone is essential because should anyone break in through a window or door panel, one of the most common methods given increases in door security by the use of anti-snap locks, the door contacts are avoided and an alarm won’t be triggered.

This means an intruder can come into your home after you have gone to bed and you are totally unprotected by the alarm - they can walk around undetected.

The whole purpose of a 3rd Partial Zone is you can set not only the perimeter door contacts but also the downstairs motion detectors active plus glass break or window contacts active upstairs (should you have them). This means when in bed, you have total protection as you can still move around upstairs eg to go to the toilet, without triggering the alarm, but should anyone break in through a window, a now very common method, the motion sensors downstairs will detect them as will the glass break detection upstairs (if fitted).

You simply cannot do this protection with 2 zones because if you include downstairs motion sensors in the at home setting, you’ll be setting the alarm off every time you move .

I’d have loved to have bought a Ring system today. However, the fact it offers me a total lack of protection at night is such an oversight that I find myself unable to purchase.

How any company can believe you can be protected purely by door contacts after going to bed at night is beyond me specially when such a high proption of burglaries in the UK at least, involve entry through a window either open, by glass removal or breakage.

Ring really need to sort this out and release an updated key pad or base station version 3 or revision that includes a 3rd zones so that one can be set as a partial zone for night time (bed time) protection.

Still no changes made to The Ring Product as a result of this feedback?

No exactly a very Customer Service Centric Business.

I’ll say it again, 2 x Zones are insufficient for any Home Alarm Product.

A home owner needs to be able to set:

1. Home - Perimeter Only

2. Night - Downstairs or Selected Zones + Perimeter

3. Away - Full Arming

Without the option of 3 Zones and Option 2 above, anyone with a Ring Alarm is vulnerable to a burglar breaking in through a window instead of a door.

If you set Option 2 to include room sensors as well as perimeter ie door sensors, then it protects at night but can offer no protection if you’re in as you cannot have it on if you’re moving room to room downstairs.

That’s why most Consumer Alarms have 3 Zones and why Ring need to bring out an updated version offering 3 Zones to Consumers. Without 3 Zones, consumers are vulnerable either whilst in or asleep at night depending on how the 2 zones they have are configured.

I’d like to be able to arm part of my system. It would be great if I could create sensor zones (e.g., Main House, Office) so I can choose to arm both zones or just one at a time. It would essentially require being able to “group” sensors and then choosing which groups to Arm and Disarm.

Any chance this is on the roadmap?

Hey Ring - could you please add a 4th mode ‘OFF’ , or give us the ability to do so? I have 18 Ring cameras and am trying to setup my Ring alarm. 3 modes works fine for JUST cameras or JUST an alarm, but with both installed, I need the ability to have certain cameras still recording when alarm is disarmed and when alarm is disarmed certain cameras off and certain cameras recording in common circumstances. Let me explain a different way:

‘Home’ should be all cameras and alarm active (like when you are sleeping) -
‘Away’ is obviously the previous + Motion sensors.
But only having a ‘Disarmed’ mode means that I have to choose between disarming my alarm and turning off cameras - I currently only get one choice. I want my cameras all recording when my alarm is off, yet still have the ability to run a privacy mode for cameras (no alarm) if I have company, workers, etc., that I don’t want to waste storage space on. Right now the app doesn’t seem to be able to do that.

If there is another way, short of motion schedule, which is an acceptable solution to this problem, I am happy to try it - but for now, I have spent over $1000 on a Ring Alarm that I cannot install because it messes up my camera modes - which I need and use nearly every day.
Thank you

I second this request. I have the exact same issue. The alarm keypad obviously only has physical buttons for 3 modes, but the ability to add a 4th (or more) mode setting just in the app would be greatly appreciated.

Just adding my Yes vote to this.
I might want a Barbecue mode where my security lights over the patio have their motion settings turned off.
A “Dark” mode would prevent any lights from turning on (might be watching a movie, or stargazing)

Also, almost anything you can set on a device (for example, lights), should be a setting in modes.

Agree! This is something the hardware and software should be able to do. The ability to turn off specific sensors so someone could come and go from a separated portion of the house would be extremely valuable rather than turning the whole system on and off manually

I really need a sleep mode. WIth 3 floors on the house I want any movement on the 1st floor to trigger the alarm when we are sleeping. Customize any would be a plus, but at least another mode would be a must!

I voted, but also posting that this is a fairly standard feature with other companies.
Amazon / Ring absolutely needs to add the ability to allow alarm owners to add Custom Modes.

I voted, and am responding to try to keep this thread alive.

I’d like to see Custom Modes so I could define a disarmed state that would disable motion detection and recording across cameras I select, and keep motion detection and recording on others. It would apply to ALL users that have access to our alarm.

This would allow me to have a singular location to select a mode while, say, working in the garden. We could keep certain camera active at our driveway for alerts, but disable the group around the house so we’re not flooded with unnecessary recording/alerts. By using a mode, it would apply to all users for the selected cameras rather than having each user have to individually Snooze certain cameras. Currently, I can’t do this with the defined Modes because the current three work as we need them to. I need an additional, customizable one to meet this need.

To me, this seems an obvious use of the Mode functionality.

I am just looking into buying an alarm, want to be able to set it just for garage during the day and all house when we go out. can this be done as it is. e.g. without the alarm going off if other doors are opened . thanks

It would be fantastic to set up an arbitrary number of modes. Ie) ‘Sleep’ which in my case would be the same as ‘Home’ but activate my indoor cams which I currently only activate during ‘Away’. Additionally, I would love to be able to use contact sensors to be alerted to doors without it setting off alarms. Ie) a child playing in their room…I want to be alerted if they leave but I don’t want to set off the alarm

Does Ring actually read this forum?

New to the eco system and love the system but need a customizable 3rd mode.

+1. Custom modes would be brilliant.

We use the Home mode for we’re-home,-so-don’t-monitor-the-backdoor-and-the-doors-from-the-house-to-the-garage. (We have a locked, fenced backyard and scary dogs that go in and out regularly, so there is limited risk of anyone attempting to enter from the backdoor during the day.)

Away mode alerts for all doors. Away mode effectively means We’re-Asleep mode.

I schedule the alarm to go into Away at night in case I forget to set it before bed.

But with this setup, is often hard for the family (esp. kids) to remember which mode does what, since the names don’t match the function.

I recognize there are physical mode buttons with static icons on the keypads, and this would, in a sense, be a breaking change to the current keypads, but I think this could be a feature that could usher in a new generation of keypads with touchscreen interfaces (my keypads stay plugged in anyway, so power drain would not be an issue for me). Perhaps a workaround for the old keypads would be to update them with firmware that allows you to cycle thru named modes by pressing either of the existing mode buttons more than once. The voice could announce each mode as you cycle thru them.

For Ring cameras and Alarm, the type of alert received should be customizable based on “Mode,” and additional modes should be available.

Currently the Disabled mode turns off all alarm alerts. The Home mode turns off only motion sensors, but not door/window sensors. Cameras are customizable. I need to enable/disable cameras independently of alarm sensors.

I need the following 4 modes: (1) disable all cameras, disable all sensors (motion/door); (2) enable some cameras, enable some sensors; (3) enable all cameras, enable some sensors; (4) enable all cameras, enable all sensors.

With 3 modes that aren’t customizable, when I want to change sensor settings, I must go into each sensor and change its setting. Additional customizable modes would fix that. Modern build-in home alarms have this feature.

Hello.

Today, I have expanded my Ring of security even further. I have a VD1 VD 3 Plus, 5 spotlight cams around the houses perimeter and today i have bought Ring Alarm and Ring Indoor Cam.

I like to have all exterior camera on a night protecting my property from every angle and side, but dont necessarily want alarm armed or indoor cam on as we’re still inside.

This is where I would like a new 4th Mode called night please Ring. I can then have all external cameras monitoring and internal stuff off.

There must be many users on these forums both with cameras and alarms who would find this feature useful. Please upvote it if you do.

thanks guys

I, like many Ring customers, bought Ring products for the purpose of monitoring a baby crib, or elderly patient at home, or dogs, or whatever. We need an additional Mode that could be applied to any device, camera or doorbell, that would have two switches: allow us to turn on or off recording to the cloud, and keep live view from timing out.
I am caregiver for my wife, and sometimes I have to go in the garage or make a 15 minute trip to the drug store or whatever. I was so excited to see this work so good, until I found out that there is no provision to fix this problem. Ring is missing out on a LOT of sales because of this.