Choosing The Right Doorbell For Your Home

The world of home security and smart homes can be a bit overwhelming to start with, as there are so many different devices and functions that are available. When my dad started working the night shift, my mom wanted a bit of extra home security so she could feel safer being home alone at night, but she had no idea where to start. This is where I suggested she get a Ring Video Doorbell so she could easily see who is at the front door without having to open the door. It was an easy introduction into home security and Ring products, while offering the peace of mind she needed. If you’ve been wanting to take the plunge but you’re not sure where to start, below are a couple of basic things to keep in mind when choosing the right Doorbell for your home.

• Battery-Powered vs. Hardwired? Many of our Doorbells are battery powered, but have the option to be wired to an existing doorbell transformer, which provides a trickle charge to help the battery not drain as quickly between charges. Alternatively, some of our Doorbells require an existing doorbell transformer for power because they need constant power from a wired setup to operate. Now all you have to do is decide if you want to use a battery-powered Doorbell, such as the Video Doorbell 3, or if you want one that is hardwired, such as the Video Doorbell Pro, so you never have to worry about charging it.
  • Rent or Own? If you own your home and you can make modifications to it, you’ll have a wider set of options. No worries though; even if you rent you can still have a Ring Doorbell without modifying your home! The Peephole Cam is a great fit for renters as it replaces the existing peephole on your door without requiring any permanent installation. In addition, we have a No-Drill Mount available for the Video Doorbell - 2020 Release and the Video Doorbell 3 and 3 Plus. This will allow you to install these Doorbells without drilling any holes into your home!

For a more in-depth comparison of all of our Doorbells, you can check out our Doorbell Buyer’s Guide here. Feel free to share in the comments which Doorbell you decided on and which feature you’ve enjoyed using the most! :slight_smile:

Please note: The Moderators Corner is a place for moderators to post tips for using Ring devices. Views expressed are the moderators’ own and not those of Ring.

3 Likes