Chime won't update firmware or connect properly

Trying to use the Chime for the first time. Ring Pro is connected fine. When I setup the Chime I am able to get it to see my wifi network and it connects. Then it goes to a “firmware update” screen which never completes. The device has a fast blinking blue light. It is within 15ft of my router and the router status page says it is connected with strong signal.

I am able to hit the device’s IP address just fine and get a setup page for something called “mysimplelink” which has a variety of options.

The Ring mobile app always says the Chime is offline despite it being connected to the network.

I have tried the reset and restart procedure 5 times with no success.

Hi @Raf82. Since you have already tried the basic troubleshooting steps that I would have recommended, would you mind following up with our support team directly on this matter? You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They can take a deeper look at this for you and provide more in-depth troubleshooting steps. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what solution they recommend, as it may help other neighbors with a similar concern! :slight_smile:

Was trying here to avoid having to spend an hour on the phone repeating myself. Your online chat option is also disabled for tech support. Seems like lots of folks are having issues with the firmware step. Is this really not a known problem? Is there any way to update the firmware manually?

@Raf82 wrote:

Was trying here to avoid having to spend an hour on the phone repeating myself. Your online chat option is also disabled for tech support. Seems like lots of folks are having issues with the firmware step. Is this really not a known problem? Is there any way to update the firmware manually?

Hello @Raf82 ,

Unlike a normal reset, you can try performing a “Factory Reset” which will initiate the update to the firmware and re-start the set-up procedures. Press and hold down the reset button for 10 seconds (I would personally hold it down for more like 20 seconds) and release it to power cycle the Chime Pro. Then complete the set up. When possible, complete this hard “Factory Reset” with your Chime Pro near to your Wi-Fi router to help ensure you get a nice clean corrupt-free firmware update. This Factory Reset will wipe any downloaded firmware that tried to download during your initial attempt to set up (possible partially corrupted), and then this reset will download fresh new Firmware. Here is a link with additional Troubleshooting tips.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048673232-Troubleshooting-Your-Ring-Chime-Pro

If you still continue having issues, then I would recommend contacting Ring Support for help by telephone:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope you find this information helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes - I (and many others) are having the same issue. No solutions have worked for me. I have owned 3 Ring doorbells and 4 Chimes over the past many years, so I know how to setup and troubleshoot. The firmware update renders the Chime Pros offline and nothing helps.

You are smart. I spent a (very frustrating) hour on the phone with support who read from their script and made me go through the time consuming setup process TWICE with the same lack of success I got the 100+times I tried it on my own. Ironically, my 1st Gen Chime (not pro - way old school) still is connected and works perfectly.