Chime Pro setup - wi fi network - which one ?

As a newbie to Ring Products, I have recently purchased a Video Doorbell 3 Plus and a chime pro. I installed the 3 plus first but had trouble with a good wi fi connection so today bought and installed the chime pro.

Not sure if I have set up the wi fi networks correctly so could someone tell me if this is correct.

My Chime Pro is connected to my main home network.

My Video Doorbell 3 PLus is connected to my Chime Pro Network

So effectively I guess I have connected all devices in series ?

Is this the correct way to do this . Both device shiwing as online

Also I have a signal strength of RSSI-53 on both, what does RSSI mean and is this a decent signal ?

Thank You

Brian

@benjietv wrote:

As a newbie to Ring Products, I have recently purchased a Video Doorbell 3 Plus and a chime pro. I installed the 3 plus first but had trouble with a good wi fi connection so today bought and installed the chime pro.

Not sure if I have set up the wi fi networks correctly so could someone tell me if this is correct.

My Chime Pro is connected to my main home network.

My Video Doorbell 3 PLus is connected to my Chime Pro Network

So effectively I guess I have connected all devices in series ?

Is this the correct way to do this . Both device shiwing as online

Also I have a signal strength of RSSI-53 on both, what does RSSI mean and is this a decent signal ?

Thank You

Brian

Hi Brian.

It sounds about right, Basically you are in effect piggy backing the signal from Router to doorbell by using the chime pro,. Hopefully, to get a better signal strength than you would if doorbell is connected direct to router.

Example, I have a Ring doorbell at front of house and a Ring camera at the back. The doorbell is connected direct to router ( also near front of house) but the camera, because it`s at the rear receives a weak signal if connected direct, so I used a chime pro positioned in between front and back of house.

Then, as you have done, connected chime pro to router, then connect camera to chime pro.

The idea being to get a good signal at the chime pro, which in turn should give you a good signal at the camera.

Don`t get confused with the RRSI number, remember the numbber is a - ( minus) number… the idea is to get that number down as much as poss,

Example, - 53 is better than say - 73 , if you can experiment with positioning of the chime pro , and get it down to further, say - 33 , then that is even better.

Hope that helps.

More on RSSI here…

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Device-Tips-and-How-To-s/How-it-Works-Your-Ring-Device-RSSI-Good-vs-Poor/ba-p/751

1 Like

Hi Johnboy

Thanks for getting back to me and all your advice. I am pleased I got it right with wi fi c

onnection. Thanks also for the info on RSSI numbers, I will see if moving the chime pro improves it

Thank you

Brian

2 Likes