Chime Pro 1st gen and Chime no sound when doorbell pressed

THREE WEEKS NOW! I have tried literally everything my end, even created a new temporary account and tethered from my phone. Still the same. Ring has sent out £100’s of equipment that I didn’t need… We are all having the same problem. Before 3 weeks ago, our Chime didn’t miss a single bell press in 2 years. Now it’s working less than 50%. We have many more Ring cameras and pay for the Protect plus yearly. Well that’s up next month, and I have ordered a new Google Hello doorbell. Before this, I was very happy with Ring, and would recommend it to anyone. Now it can’t even perform the very basic function of ringing a chime inside - something a basic doorbell can do costing around £10. If this isn’t sorted within a couple of days (when my Google doorbell turns up), then I will cancel everything with Ring and sell off all the equipment. THREE WEEKS without a reliable doorbell isn’t good enough. It’s all very well saying they’re looking into it, but it needs to be sorted - and why does their status page say no reported problems? And 100% up time for the whole of January and February??
If you’re reading this and work for Ring, please pass this info on to the relevant departments. Before I pull the plug on all of it!

We recently had the video doorbell 2 pro (hardwired) installed. The wireless chime plays a sound when motion is detected, however when somebody presses the bell, no sound is played from the chime. The app detects somebody has rang the bell.

This cannot be a wifi issue as motion is detected with the chime and it is located very close to both the router and the bell.

I have seen this problem on other posts but am yet to find a resolution. I have tried adjusting the settings but have had no joy.

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks

Hi I have the same issue. The chime disconnects and when reconnected nothing happens when u press the doorbell. It rings outside but nothing indoors even when synced

Here also the same problem with the Pro 2 after disabling the Alexa skill. As mentioned before, this is not the solution.

Sometimes our chimes work and sometimes they don’t….

Ring has to fix it themselves!

Having the exact same issue with a Ring Pro and 2 x Chime 2nd Gen’s.

Have account linked to Alexa,

I have always found that the announcement of a bell press on Alexa has always been intermittent at best (motion no problem) but the 2 x Chimes have never failed to sound for over a year until a few weeks ago.

It seems to have coincided with a change which removed some of the “Chime Tones” in audio settings???

The tone I previously had selected is no longer an option, sorry I cant remember what the name of it was, but once I realised they were not sounding at all I checked my audio settings and “Ring Default” was selected and the tone I previously had is not there any more.

I have since tried defaulting both Chime’s and re-adding them but they now, as everyone else seems to experience, only work intermittently approx. 50% of the time.

Come on Ring, you have changed something which has broken the basic essential function of your product, what is going on???

(Just to add the Chimes are not disconnecting from the WLAN and always show good WIFI signal in the health page, the Ring Pro always sounds and always notification on phone, just intermittently no alert from the Chimes!)

I have same issue as others. Chime is new, about 2 months old. It worked fine at first, now doesn’t chime unless I open settings, where it says everything is ok, and that it is connected - I don’t even change any settings, but then it will work. Then later, it won’t chime again. Very inconvenient. I get no notice that someone has rung the doorbell either, so I have no idea.

Can we please have some kind of update from Ring on this problem!!!

20 days ago you were apparently looking into this, any update???

This is becoming totally unacceptable now, i have a £300 pound door bell with £80 a year subscription which did until recently work fine, now it wont even let me know if someone is at my front door!!!

Ok, so did some testing today at a friend who has a Ring Pro and Chime 2nd gen.

They had informed me that they were not aware of any problems with their Chime not sounding on a door bell push.

Their Ring Pro is installed in a location where it only sees movement just as a person arrives at their front door.

When I tested, their chime did seem to sound every time, BUT, if you walk up to the door and then don’t press the doorbell for approx. 15-20 seconds, then, as mine, it fails to sound their chime!!! (just their phones sound)

I tested waiting before pressing the doorbell multiple times, and every time it failed to sound their chime.

On my install, my Ring Pro will detect (and record) the person as they walk up to my door, it will also detect (and record) people who walk past the end of my drive.

So, it seems that if the door bell is pressed with in a few seconds of motion detection the Chime will sound fine, but if it is pressed approx. 15 seconds or more after a motion detection, it will not. (even though the whole event will be logged as a doorbell event)

The give away to this is that when you look at the footage on the app you will probably find that the failed doorbell “presses” will not be right at the beginning of the “missed ring” event because the event started as a motion (or person) detected event, then when the door bell is eventually pressed it is correctly changed to a “doorbell” event, but this is when the chime will not sound.

This is maybe why some people find that it only works some times and other find it doesn’t work at all, as it all depends on if the event started as a motion or person event a number of seconds before the doorbell is pressed???

I have tried on mine turning off “Smart Alerts” so all events are just motion (and not person detected) but this does not fix the issue.

This all seems to have started around the time Ring implemented the “Package Alert” function???

I have tried turning this function on, but the problem still exists.

I have also tested my parents Ring Pro and theirs is behaving exactly the same!!!

Come on Ring, are you reading this thread???

This is nothing to do with faulty hardware, Alexa integration or wifi issues, YOU HAVE FUNDAMENTALLY BROKEN SOMETHING HERE and It would be my guess that it was when you implemented “Package Alert” ???

Please own up to this problem and confirm you are dealing with it.

I have now tested THREE Ring Pro’s that are behaving exactly the same and I have two of them in my family which are now completely useless!!!

THIS IS A WIDE SPEAD ISSUE!!!

2 Likes

I think you’ve cracked it, this explains why it always works when I trigger my doorbell by leaning out of my front door and pressing the button - there’s no motion event before the ring.

Hopefully Ring use your reproduction steps to expedite a fix…

1 Like

Hi!

I’m from Hungary. Same problem. It started about two months ago, before that it was good for about 1 year. I have a Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 and Ring Chime (v1 pro and standard v2). The Ring Chime doesn’t work when the doorbell is pressed. Amazon Alexa doesn’t talk either, but the Android app is good, it alerts you when the doorbell is pressed. If I restart the pro 2 or cut the power to the pro 2, it works again, but after a few hours or days the chime does not ring again. Ring Chime v1 and v2 same problem. So maybe Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 firmware problem.

Mine is a Pro 1, (and the others I have tested) so seems to affect both Pro 1 and 2, but yes, i would say Ring have screwed something up in thier firmware.

Can someone from Ring please comment on this problem!!!

I personaly havnt contacted Ring support direct regarding mine or my parents individually devices as there seems like little point as this is a widespread issue.

My friend did contact your support and spent approx 30 mins changing settings/rebooting equipment all to no avail, the outcome of the call was that support would look into it further.

Surely the whole point of this forum is to update on widespread issues so stop the need for everyone to have to go though the same pointless time consuming process with your support team that achives nothing.

On this thread it was stated on the 2nd of February that this was being look into and then NOTHING!!!

Come on Ring, this is simply not good enough!!!

Hello all,

Suddenly my (1st gen) ring chime and (1st gen) chime pro does not ring when the doorbell is pressed.

I have cross checked that the devices are linked to my video doorbell Pro, volume is set to max and the chimes ringtone is set. Motion notification at the chime is disabled.

Ringing notifications to my phone work fine, just it doesn’t chime inside the house when the doorbell is pressed.

If I will enable and disable the snooze, reboot the chimes, change ringtone or factory default the chimes, it works for a while and then stops again.

I have changed wifi networks for both chime devices, I have joined each chime to a different wifi network but the behavior is exactly the same.

The RSSI is -16 and there is not any firewall or content inspection device in place, just a home router without inspection enabled.

Any other IoT devices for example cameras, work without any problem

Any idea ?

Hi!

Same problem. It started about two months ago, before that it was good for about 1 year. I have a Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 and Ring Chime (v1 and v2). The Ring Chime doesn’t work when the doorbell is pressed. If I restart the pro 2 or cut the power to the pro 2, it works again, but after a few hours or days the chime does not ring again. Ring Chime v1 and v2 same problem. So maybe Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 firmware problem.

1 Like

I can verify that the problem started after the Christmas, about two months.

I have the same issue too and it’s been bloody painful getting support to investigate this. It’s clearly a known problem they just don’t want to publicise it.

I reported my issue to support today.

Chap didnt bother going though the usual turn it off and on again/reboot it rubbish, he just informed me that this is a know issue with apparently the latest Chime firmware and they are “working on it”

I advised him that this seems to have been an issue for at least a few months now, so how long have they been “working on it”?

He just advised me that someone from thier technical deparment would ring me back in a few hours to discuss, but no one called me.

Hi JAB1972

Did you get any update from the technical department?

Exactly the same problem. Just started in the last month, fine before that. This needs to be solved asap. You are selling doorbells that don’t ring! Basics!

No one rung me back.

I have just spoken to support again and they advise me that this issue will apparently be fixed in a couple of days.

Not holding my breath to be honest.