Chime not connecting to wifi

Thanks mhherr! I spent days trying to reconnect my chime via my android phone with no luck until I read your response. Tired it with my iPad and worked with no issue! Not sure why it didn’t work with my Android phone ( it is new) but that should had not made an difference I believe. Regardless thanks!

1 Like

Yes, I see a LOT of posters have figured it out, IT’S YOUR ANDROID PHONE! I have the Note 20 and it wouldn’t work.

SOLUTION: Use a different device to step up your Chime. After 3 frustrating hours, I used my Samsung Android Tablet and it set up the very first try!

1 Like

Wetty, that was the solve I needed for my Android phone!!! I was gonna ask my daughter to borrow her Apple iPhone and try those ‘fixes’ but your suggestion was the correct one. I also ensured my wifi did not have any special characters in the name (it was setup by default that way, so no changes needed)
Very frustrating as my earlier Chime (1st Gen) would never connect so I ordered the 2nd Gen (not the Pro version)
Now I have the Doorbell chime and Motion settings in place to use in my Man Cave. This will be helpful when someone is downstairs (family) who does not have the Ring App on a phone/watch to be notified when packages arrive and other

FINALLY!!!

I thought so as well, Snappy but found out that when I followed the reco from Wetty I FINALLY GOT MY CHIME TO CONNECT to my Samsung Galaxy 9+
Using an Apple device may work as well, but I don’t have access to one so I am relieved that the Wetty suggestion put an end to wasting more time reading threads or trying Ring support

Absolutely the problem. The android app code is flawed and only with apples os will the app perform as expected. Literally 40 mins of fail with android and 2 mins downloading of ring app and installing chime. Ring has always been inept at creating a streamlined app.

If you can use an Apple device, this will take all of 3 minutes to complete. If you use an Android device (like I did originally), you will spend hours. Incredible.

The Chime Pro Gen 2 also appears to be one of those devices that is really picky about your phone being on the same SSiD as the network you are trying to add it to.

I have a number of access points in my house (to extend the range) and my phone was connected to a different SSID. I spent ages trying to figure out why the Chime wouldn’t connect (despite trying everything already mentioned and even talking to Tier 2 support). I could get it to connect to a WiFi hotspot on my phone, no problem but that’s not a viable solution long-term.

As soon as I changed the WiFi settings on my iPhone so that it was on the same WiFi network I was trying to add the Chime to it connected straight away and setup was able to complete.

I have some other devices that are picky like this. They all use cheap Chinese radios. If I had to point the finger at any one thing that causes this it would be poor quality WiFi components. Firmware can fix some of that but at a certain point it becomes the proverbial turd polishing.

After about a year my Chime Pro just stopped working. I reset my router, modem, and then went through the connection process about 20 times. Dead end every time, Chime cannot connect. Got one the phone with support, no help so they are sending a new one. While I was waiting for the new one to arrive, I bought one from Best Buy. See, before I read this thread I thought there was a problem on my end or my chime pro died. I will try several of these suggestions, but this is some BS. Why can’t Ring figure this crap out? This is such a common problem that RING need to get their crap together.

SOLVED: I had exactly the same issue with connecting one of my Chimes to the network. Finally solved, via Menna in Cairo’s support centre. All I had to do was to use my Ring app on my iPad instead of on my iPhone and it worked without difficulty. In other words, if you can’t connect using one device, just try a different device with the Ring app installed.

1 Like

My problem is similar when I tried to connect it is an endless loop of is the green light blinking I click yes and it loops right back to it till eventually the app crashes… I have tried on several devices and get same outcome. Customer service was a joke been waiting over a week for a call back… I have reset everything in the house including the chime. Any suggestions

I tried and tried and tried to get this to connect to my main network. It would connect and then say “There’s a problem with your network”

I thought MAYBE it was a problem with my DNS server (I’m using PiHole to kill ads), that wasn’t it.

I ended up having to create a separate guest network, ironically the same password and it DOES have special characters and it connected just fine.

I first tried with no password on the guest, just to get a firmware update, hoping that would fix the problem, and then try reconnecting to the main WiFi…nope. No joy.

It only wants to play nice on the guest network. Same internal network (I didn’t segregate my guest from main)…same IP schema X.X.X.X/23 (yes I’m supernetted, for 2 class C’s) There’s no earthly reason why it shouldn’t connect to the main network.

RING…FIX YOUR STUFF.

Hey neighbors. I just wanted to share this information in case it was lost in the thread above. :slightly_smiling_face:

You probably don’t want to hear this, but after trying almost everything in this thread for hours, the solution that worked for me was to return the Chime 2nd gen and get a Chime Pro 2nd gen. Once I did that, everything went through on the configuration with no problems whatsoever. Yes, not the best solution, but it sure beats being on hold with tech support.

What worked for me - resetting the Chime Pro (Gen 2) - the light will turn blue when reset - then adding the device via the app (add to Base Station instead of directly from the app home page). That’s what worked for me

Thanks all!!

2 Likes

My fix was to disable my homes wireless network on my phone, connect wirelessly to ring chime then go thru the setup. My chime is updating now.

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Here are the best things to check to get your Chime/Chime Pro connected to your network:

• Relocate your Chime to another outlet, closer to your router.
  • If it doesn’t automatically reconnect, follow the steps in this Help Center article to reconnect the Chime in the Ring app.
  • Please ensure there is not a VPN enabled and location services / permissions are allowed / enabled for the Ring app, on your mobile device.
  • As mentioned prior in this thread, using another mobile device entirely, if possible, can rule out many variables.

If the above steps did not help get your Chime connected, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like