Chime Loses Connection

I have a Ring Doorbell 2 and a Ring Chime in the kitchen…

Every time I take the battery out of the doorbell to charge it, the Chime stops working even though it hasn’t been moved from the plug socket or disconnected from the wifi network.

The Chime retains its solid blue light and doesn’t indicated that it is disconnected.

It then takes a whole lot of frustration and cussing to get it reconnected.

Why is this?

Hi @SewerSleuth. Can you clarify what you mean when you say the Chime stops working? Does it drop its wifi connection, or is it no longer connected to the Doorbell itself? What behavior do you experience when it is not working? I’d be happy to offer some helpful suggestions once I have a better idea of what is happening. :slight_smile:

What I mean is it no longer chimes when the doorbell is pressed. The light is still on and is solid, so no apparent change in status. It just doesn’t work anymore and I have to all kinds of hard resets and reconnection to Wi-fi to get it working again. But the next time I take the battery out of the doorbell to charge it, the same thing happens again.

@SewerSleuth Thanks for the clarification! The Chime should not lose connection to wifi because you are recharging the Doorbell’s battery. The next time this happens, try following the steps in this Help Center Article in order to get the Chime’s connection to your Doorbell re-established. If that doesn’t work, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They can take a closer look at what’s going on to ensure that your Chime and Doorbell remain connected. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I have recently had this exact same problem. The status light is solid blue but after being locked out of my house for nearly half an hour last night :grimacing: it appears the chime has had no Wi-Fi connection for months :roll_eyes: - and that explains why our shopping deliveries have had to call our phones so often (because the chime has not sounded).
To find out if there was a problem I clicked on the chime tile within the Ring app and this showed me there was no Wi-Fi connection. I have now reconnected it to my Wi-Fi with minimal effort (a few button presses in the app, unplugging the chime and plugging it back in). I did not have to re-enter the Wi-Fi password.

Not sure if this is the right place to simply suggest improvements but…
It would really have helped me if my Chime’s status Light blinked red whenever it had no Wi-Fi connection - this would have alerted me every time I walked past it. A really persistent notification in the app would also have been helpful to alert me.

1 Like

Hi @magnesiumribbon. I’m glad to hear you were able to quickly get your Chime reconnected to your wifi network. We appreciate you sharing your feedback, and you may be interested in adding this feedback to our Feature Request board as well. Other neighbors have suggested a notification for when a device is offline, and you can find that request here. The Feature Request board allows us to easily share your feedback with our teams here, so feel free to add any other suggestions or ideas you may have there as well. :slight_smile: