Chime keeps dropping wifi

My chime connects to wifi and then 3-4 days later it drops. It has now done that 4 times. What is going on?

1 Like

Mine keeps dropping after few hours, every day!
Anyone, Before I cancel my purchase?

2 Likes

I’ve got the same problem. Worked fine for a while, then intermittently and now basically doesn’t even connect. They have obviously got problems in their wifi hardware.
Did you find a solution?

2 Likes

Hey there neighbors! I responded to a similar concern in this thread, but I’ll share my reply here as well to ensure that you’re all able to see it.

If you’re experiencing some connectivity concerns with your Chime, you may want to try resetting the Chime and taking it through a new setup in the Ring App. This will refresh its connection with the Ring App and with your home wifi network. To reset it, hold down the reset button on the side for at least 15 seconds. From there, you’ll want to follow the steps in the Ring App under Set Up a Device to get it back up and running. You can also try adjusting the placement to ensure there are no other devices or materials in the area that are causing any interference with the signal the Chime is receiving.

If this concern persists after trying those steps, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. A member of our support team will be able to take a deeper look and offer more advanced troubleshooting support. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what solution works for you or what our support team recommends! :slight_smile:

Hi both my chimes lost wifi connection and now I can’t get past the setup where the chime connects to my phone.

1 Like

@Caitlyn,

Over the past 5 to 6 days the chimes connected to my Ring 2 have been dropping from my wifi, I have checked the speed on wifi several times, the latest being D/L 72.89, U/L 27.79, Ping 48. The RSSI on the doorbell is 56 and the chimes are 46 and 59, when they last dropped, which by any standards are above average. Over the week I have actioned everything that you have written in your post without success and this morning I have logged on to this forum for advice only to find several users not only with the same problem but the problems all started virtually the same time as mine. Do you not find that too much of a coincidence, has there been a software update? In the two years I have had the Ring 2 it has been virtually trouble free until now, to have a problem with one chime I can understand but not both at the same time. Why do I think that there is more going on here than we are being told? I wait for your comments.

Well it has been quite a few hours later and I have phoned Customer Services for advice and they were very helpful. Both of the chimes had to be clean reset, that is to say the little side button pressed and a clean install and they both connected. Unfortunately after I finished the call I discovered that the bell and the chimes were not in sync, when the button was pressed the bell the chimes did not ring. Also the video was not recording, just a black screen.

Time for a think! I checked the app and the RSSI were in the 50’s for all three units so I decided to do a clean install on the bell, the only thing that I had not done, and much to my surprise it worked. The bell, chimes and video are now all working fine.

Hope that works for the rest of you guys and girls.

1 Like

Agree. It is sudden. And there’s no help guides and all links for assistance seem to lead to the subscription plan. There’s no help guides or anything. Covid is an excuse for everything now…

2 Likes

Well too good to be true!

Just like other experiences of this problem my chimes have started to disconnect again.

After talking to Tech everything was working well after I did a clean install of the bell, that was around 11am. All well till around 6pm when it disconnected from the wifi and has not connected since.

There more to this problem than Arlo are letting on.

1 Like

My chime plug keeps losing Wi-fi

1 Like

I just posted a similar question. Sorry I did not spot this first, but nothing here helped - tech support had me doing the same things. The only difference seems to be (for me) that I recently upgraded my router (its 1000 gigabits or whatever) and operates on 2 and 5 ghz.

I got my chime more than a month ago and It keeps disconnecting from WiFi after a few hours. I have reset it as well and still disconnects. It’s been going on for about a week already. Does anyone know how to fix this?

2 Likes

Add me to the list of those experiencing wifi connection problems with my chime pro. Mine had been stable for months, with a couple of short blips in connectivity that seemed to be resolved by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Now in the last 3 or 4 days the chime has lost connectivity, but unplugging and plugging back in hasn’t done anything. Two nights ago I tried reconnecting the chime to my network by reentering my wifi password (the password hasn’t changed). This seemed to be the needed solution, as my chime reconnected, then my doorbell and floodlight camera came back online since they use the chime network. The connection was short lived. I checked the ring app this morning just to find out the chime and the devices connected are offline again. Seems like something is wrong with this product. I have several smart home devices from other brands and they rarely, if ever lose network connectivity for unexpected reasons.

Hey neighbors. In addition to the steps mentioned above, try rebooting your internet router as well. To do this, just unplug it for at least 4 minutes and then plug it back in. You internet should boot back up within 10 minutes. I hope this helps.

Looks like this is more of an issue than a simple reset.
I have tried all the steps outlined above, including restarting the router, and then I even bought a new chime. The problem is back again!

Wonder if it’s a faulty software update, but there’s no working solution it seems. Very frustrating.

2 Likes

Hi @DanielJacob. If none of the suggestions in this thread have worked to resolve your concern with the Chime’s connection, then the next best step would be to reach out to our support team so they can take a closer look at this. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what solutions our support team recommends as well, since it may help other neighbors. :slight_smile:

4 days ago my Ring Chime Pro started to disconnect leaving me with no cameras, doorbell and internal camera. Tried rebooting the router, then have to reinstall the pro, it connects to the WiFi but says there is a problem with the internet, but all my other devices using the internet continue to work, eventually it will let me reconnect and everything is right with the world for a couple of hours then we are back to square one, the blue ring starts flashing rapidly and all the cameras drop off. Come on Ring sort it out.

1 Like

Hi there, @Deano1972! It sounds like this may be due to Chime Pro placement. With all of the other Ring devices in your home connecting as intended, this Chime Pro should as well. Try relocating the Chime Pro to another room in your home, preferably the same room as the router, to test connection dependability. Please avoid large appliances, electronics, or multiple walls/ enclosures from blocking the Chime Pro wifi.

If connection concerns persists in this fashion, try a reset on the Chime Pro by holding the setup button for 20 seconds. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Wow - just called yesterday about this same problem - that started around the same time - and after over 45 minutes on the phone was told to go buy a new chime or return it to Costco - Ring!..never taking care of it’s customers.

after over 45 minutes on the phone was told to go buy a new chime

Was a reason given for the need to buy a new chime? I wonder if there is there maybe a hardware issue related to this problem.

I have a two Chimes, both of which report their Product Name as “Chime (1st Gen)”, despite visually different hardware (the earlier one is white, with a reset hole, the later one is pale blue, with a reset button) and both of them have been randomly going offline over the last six months or so.

I was considering calling Ring Support about the problem, but if they are as unhelpful as others here report - just script following to reset the chime - I wonder if it is worth the bother.

Add me to this list as well, mine have been working for over 4 years with no issues, about a week ago, both of them started disconnecting. I have reset, deleted, and re-added back in the app, and a few hours later, boom, disconnected again, I’m starting to wonder if there was a firmware pushed out that is faulty.