Change Modes using Alexa

I have Alexa routines setup to do certain things when I leave or when I arrive home. It would be nice if Alexa could be used to change modes. For example, from Home-to-Away and vice versa.

14 Likes

I am really suprised this isn’t currently supported. I agree this is a must have feature and would make the Alexa integration must more valuable. I don’t always have my smartphone with me when I want to arm the system and if I am upstairs it is pain to go to a keypad… where I have Alexa all over the house.

I was mistaken - you can actually do this if you have the Ring Alarm, it is just not that obvious in the documentation. Not sure if it is supported with the new modes feature of the app in general. My guess is this will come soon as it seems like if would be useful even if you only have Ring Cameras.

I have the ring Doorbell, indoor camera and Alexa echo show installed already. If I buy the basic ring alarm system what would I need to do in order to let Alexa arm and disarm my system?

You can do this! Add the RING skill to Alexa and link your accounts then just ask Alexa “SET RING TO HOME MODE” and it will set! Same for AWAY mode. However, to DISARM through Alexa you will need to setup a (4) digit code in the Alexa App. 1st! I recommend using a different (4) digit code through Alexa and it works fine! I have a Fitbit Versa2 with Alexa built in and set my alarm while driving to work and then to DISARM it before I get home so, I don’t even have to touch my phone - this works great!

Hope this helps!

I have the ring Doorbell and 2 Stick Up Cams and it would be really useful to use Alexa to switch modes (Disarm, Home and Away).

While @zatt001 is correct, it doesn’t really help anyone with any kind of automation set up. I’d like for my Smartthings to sense everyone having left the house (which it does), then “arm” and run certain automation (which it does) and simultaneously “arm” Ring (which it does not). Of course, it does the opposite when one or more people arrive back home.

You’d think it’d be in Ring/Amazon’s best interest to integrate this as it’d save on both bandwidth and storage costs not having to record hours and hours of video while people a re entertaining on the porch, front garden, etc. I know I never bother changing modes in the Ring app manually at least.

This should be enabled for camera only

1 Like

I do not have Ring Alarm or Smart Lighting, only outdoor cameras and it would be nice if Alexa could change the modes by voice.

If people are outback, I want to be able to tell Alexa to disarm the camera or at least turn off notifications (neither of which can currently be done).

1 Like