Cannot change Chime ringtone

I am having the same issue, bought a ring doorbell 3 and the Chime 2nd Generation.
Just installed everything and when trying to change the chime tone get the same message as shown above!!!
Maybe I should have gone for the Nest Door Cam :frowning:

Interesting why can’t they just release a new firmware globally, seems very unproductive and annoying updating firmware manually on a device by device basis for each person that calls support and has to wait for response!

After trying all the suggestions in this thread and having no luck, this is what finally worked for me on iPhone…

Pick your desired sound from the list, hit Save Changes, wait only about a second, and then force close the app. Might take a few attempts to get the force close timing right, but this worked for me twice in a row.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I have the same issue, exactly and no matter which of the above steps I try, I cannot change the ringtone on my brand new Chime. It is just so amazing. I wonder where I else I could post to get some attention to this, like Wirecutter. Or iFixit or Consumer Reports. Customers have gone for over a year without a fix? Really?

For those of you who can’t change your chime tone, maybe you should consider yourself lucky. Back in December I changed to “Deck the Halls” which worked perfectly and was enjoyable through the holidays. Afterwards I changed it to the “Antique Bell” which, again, worked perfectly. Unfortunately it still plays “Deck the Halls” along with the new tone. I can change to any and all tones and it will change - just won’t quit playing Deck the Halls. I’m starting to lose my Christmas spirit.

1 Like

Unbelievable it’s over a. year and this problem is still not fixed.
I have tried all the generic steps in the “solution” but I still cannot change the tone.
Can I get my money back please?

Will Ring ever fix this? I have the same exact problem (8/14/2021). I have run through the full installation process twice and can not change the tone. In fact, if I try to change the tone in the app I can’t even continue past that step; “Continue” only works if the Default Tone box is checked.

1 Like

Sep. 12, 2021 and I’m having the same issues. I can’t change the chime ringtone. I select the new tone and then “Save Changes”, but receive a message stating hat my chime is currently updating and to please try again later, but my firmware says “Up to date.” This is very disappointing.

Hi there, @Majesty! This is the expected behavior when Changing a Chime tone or setting. The Chime device will save or update with these changes. Often times when a change is not saving or taking too long to change/ update, it can be due to connection. Please ensure the Chime is well within range of your router for a good signal. Check out our Community post for tips on optimizing wifi signal strength, or RSSI.

Please also check mobile device connection variables, including to make sure there is not a vpn enabled. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Great morning,

I am having the same if not similar issue.
I have an iPhone 7 Plus with 15.1, my app is up to date. Ring and ring chime is up to date. I have tried to update my default tone on the chime. It says it saves and when I test the sound it’s the default. I have used WiFi and without WiFi. Please fix this or send one that works.
I have not owned this long at all. And seeing others with the same issue for years concerns me. The default sound is annoying.

Best regards,
Gene

In addition to checking Chime connection, as suggested above, and moving your Chime closer to the router, please also ensure there is not a VPN enabled on your mobile device. If possible, try attempting this change on another mobile device to see if it works.

Here is our Help Center article on changing tones, which explains the process further. If this concern persists despite trying these steps, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Hi I was having cactus same problem but if you go to ring app turn off the two alarm notifications then power down your phone then turn phone back on go to ring app and turn on the two alarm notifications turn your phone off then on again it fixes the problem. However I cannot get Christmas holiday rings or notifications to work!

2 Likes

New chime, cannot set a time other than the default. 1st gen

I am also trying to change my ringtone via the app on my Galaxy S20-5G. I have set new tnes but when I go to test them nothing happens. Also, when I try it from my PC using the app it doesn’t give me the option to change it but says the device has a good signal(RSSI -41.0) and the firmware is up to date.

Same issue here. Have tried all suggestions in this feed to no avail. Phone is Galaxy Note20 5G Ultra. Do not get any error message about something going wrong. Press the “Test sound on chime” nothing happens. Chime is 10’ from router (TP Deco W6000). App does retain new selection, but when activated by default sound is heard. For as long as this has been an issue, would have expected a fix and/or update.

Same issue. Tried uninstalling the App, turning off my phone, then re-installing. My rating as Ring as a company is in the gutter at the moment. Unable to fix a broken LED blub on my £150 Floodlight and now this simple bit of functionality not working! I will not be buying anymore Ring products.

Same issue for 7 months now, first time i decided to reach out.
It’s sad to read that this issue is unsolved for so long. Especially because it seems like a simple fix.

I had quite some confidence in Ring as a firm.
Enough to recommend Ring to colleagues, friends and family and encourage them to invest in a Ring alarm system and/or doorbell. I’m afraid i must reconsider this advice and look around for an alternative.

I understand that this issue doesn’t have the highest priority, but some clients here are waiting a year already… This gives me the feeling that Ring is just another company that invests a maximum in sales while support and tech drown in issues and can’t provide quality service.

If your Chime tone is not saving as intended, this is often a sign of communication interference. As a test, moving your Chime closer to your router and changing the tone there will factor out interferences with wifi. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength. In addition, please also ensure there is not a VPN enabled on your mobile device when accessing the Ring app and if possible, try attempting this change on another mobile device to see if it works.

Here is our Help Center article on changing tones, which explains the process further. If this concern persists despite trying these steps, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here.

2 Likes