Ring Accessories

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring Chime, Chime Pro, and more.
M
Cannot change Chime ringtone
troubleshooting
chime
Hi, Today I found that I could not change ringtone on my Chime (the original version, FW version 1.3.3). I control Chime via the Ring app on my Android phone (app version 3.22.1). When I select different ringtone, hit "Save Changes" I get the confimation about settings being updated. But the Chime light does not start blinking and when I test sound the default sound is still there. I tried following: - Reset chime (via the pin hole). - Restart chime. - Re-install Ring application on my phone. None of it helped. Any idea how to fix this? Cheers, Mirek

05-02-2020 01:30:00

Responses (25)

C
Hey @Mirek. When you reinstalled the Ring app, did you reboot your phone in between removing the app and reinstalling it? This can be an important extra step to take, as rebooting your phone in between the remove and re-add will clear the cache of data saved onto your phone, which may be causing it to still save the old tone. If you could, please try the removal of the app, reboot of your phone (turn it off/on) and then reinstall the app. After this, please try to save the tone and see if the Chime plays the new tone on motion alerts or dings (if you have a Doorbell).

05-02-2020 05:21:56

M
Hi Chelsea. Thanks for your reply. Yesterdey, I did not restart my phone between uninstalling the application and new installation. So today I uninstalled the app, restarted phone, installed the app again and .... no change. Still cannot change the ringtone on my Chime :/ Any other ideas?

06-02-2020 10:11:45

P
Hi I have exacty same issue , Changed Chime greeting over christmas .Now when changing it back it times out and gives some kind of error message after few minutes . 1 re-installed the App , made no difference. 2 removed device and re added it 3 totally reset the chime (by pressing the reset button 30seconds) 4 Removed and readded the wifi settings etc . 5 In the end I phoned support and they talked me through reseting the Chime again, it updated software ,but problem still exists .Support advised me to wait 15 to 20 mins and retry . I notice the Chime has reverted now to 'default' tone , but still wont allow me to change it to anything else .It still works when the bell is pushed etc just slightly annoying .

06-02-2020 02:05:45

C
@Mirek Thank you for giving that another go! I would recommend to reach out to our support team here, as the same as @PaulTwix has done. You can also perform the steps they did as well, but reaching out to the support team will ensure that this concern is documented and escalated properly for your personal account. In the meanwhile, I've passed on this feedback to the appropriate team for you both! :smiley_cat:

06-02-2020 04:12:53

M
Hi @Chelsea\_Ring, I took your advice and called support. The lady on line walked me through quite lengthy procedure of factory resetting my chime but it did not solve the issue. I was assured that there is no isseu with the device itselft or my phone Ring application and that it was a software issue on Ring side and engineers would work of a fix. They should let me know once it is fixed. So, let's see.

06-02-2020 06:02:29

T
tried all the suggestions and still the same results.

06-02-2020 06:52:58

M
Dear Ring Community, I bought a Ring Doorbell 2 that came with a regular chime (not pro) in April of 2019 and as of last week I have not been able to change the ring or motion sounds. When I try Changing the sound It says Sorry Something went Wrong. I am not sure what is wrong with it. I have tried resetting it but that did not help; I even called Ring Customer Support and she could not figure it out. It does make a sound if the doorbell is rang or if motion is detected. Chime: Firmware: 1.3.3 Rssi-24 Internet and WiFi: Router: Orbi RBK20W Firmware: V2.3.5.36 Wifi Security: WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] Internet Provider: Spectrum 100 MBPS Phone used to change tone: iPhone XR IOS 13.3.1

12-02-2020 12:45:53

T
I have exactly the same issues and have tried all the steps mentioned here. Is there a solution for this yet?

25-02-2020 11:11:17

C
Hey neighbors! I have just gotten word that this should be resolved as of now. If you could, please attempt to change your Chime tone in the app and let me know if it updates or not. You may have to test an event like ringing your Doorbell in order to test if it was saved properly. If you continue to have a concern with the Chime not updating the sound, please reach out to our support team [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch) for further troubleshooting. :smiley_cat:

05-03-2020 08:00:51

D
Does not work. Still the same error. Come on Ring. Give us a solution

05-03-2020 08:09:14

S
It worked for me. Thanks

05-03-2020 08:13:10

S
It seems to have worked for me as well

05-03-2020 08:22:38

S
Hi there, having a problem with my ring chime. I can't seem to update new chime tones for it. I've tried everything and nothing works. It just keeps going back to the default chime.

14-02-2020 08:39:19

L
I cannot update my tones on chime. Currently stuck on "Spooky Organs" ha ha. Its driving wife crazy. Ring sent me a new chime and same issue. Spent hours on phone with support with no resolution. I was promised they will investigate my issue and get back to me. At this point I am doubtful I will hear back. My Chime is updated to 1.3.3. When I try to update my tone it tells me "Update Settings - Your Chime is updating, please wait a moment" I press ok and it eventually gives me the error message "Something went Wrong - Sorry about that! Please try again in a moment". What is the solution here. Very fustrating. I choose Ring for their reputation and quality. If there is something wrong with software Lets hear it. Anyhow, any help will be appreciated. Living in a haunted house (Spooky Organ reference) Lou ![Ring Error Msg.jpg|295x640](upload://mVNKZKtBeYPzAXDKkcmthQkQdZx.jpeg)

02-03-2020 01:13:27

M
I have the same problem and they keep asking me to the same resetting steps with no luck. i even sent a picture of the error. Doesn't seem that hard to resolve. VERY FRUSTRATING.

14-02-2020 10:38:49

J
wonderful - I can't change the chime now: its still playing the Christmas tone. Plus I still can't use camera live view on data. What the hell Ring? My system is falling apart. FIX THESE BASIC PROBLEMS!

16-02-2020 03:02:55

J
why is this marked solved? ITS NOT SOLVED

16-02-2020 03:05:59

C
This is ridiculous! We are all having the same problem and clearly nothing ids being done about it. The original problem on this hase been marked as solved ! Unbelieveable! This is an expensive system and the company are clearly offering new stuff left right and centre to attract customers, while those who have spent hundreds (almost a thousand) of pounds (Dollars) are being left out in the cold with a crap system. I could have got a cheap system for less than half the price but this was supposed to be the best! or so I was told. COME ON RING.COM --- GET YOUR BLOODY ACT TOGETHER OR I WILL STOP RECOMMENDING YOU TO MY FRIENDS.

16-02-2020 11:35:20

M
Yes, still waiting for the solution. I noticec that my latest comment was marked as solution, so I just removed it. Despite their claim on the support call that they woudl fix this and keep me informed, the issue is till there I no-one ever let me know about any status update whatsoever. Quite disappointing. Guys, if you have the same issue, please call Ring support so as they know that there are quite many of us dealing with this issue. Clearly they do not pay much attention to this forum.

17-02-2020 10:34:06

U
Hi I was having cactus same problem but if you go to ring app turn off the two alarm notifications then power down your phone then turn phone back on go to ring app and turn on the two alarm notifications turn your phone off then on again it fixes the problem. However I cannot get Christmas holiday rings or notifications to work!

23-11-2021 05:15:57

A
Also have the same issue with just one of my two Chimes. Deleted it, reset it, changed to a different network but same "Something went wrong" message each time. Support tell me it's being looked into and we should get an email when the issue is fixed. ![IMG_CF694AAD4BE3-1.jpeg|1125x2436](upload://10puFoAlsFLZElev7dhWHGobCla.jpeg)

20-02-2020 04:06:04

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User