Ring Security Cameras

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring’s indoor and outdoor cameras.
U
User Solution
Closed
Camera Motion Zones selection
troubleshooting
wireless-security-cameras
motion-settings

Open the Ring app on your iPhone and look at the viewable area of the snapshot provided by a Stick Up Cam in the Dashboard.

Now, for that camera, navigate to where you can edit the Privacy Zones. The viewable area on which you can set a privacy zone is exactly the same as the viewable area of the snapshot.

Now, for that camera, navigate to where you can edit the Camera Motion Zones. The viewable area on which you can set a camera motion zone is not same as the viewable area of the snapshot, or of the viewable area of the privacy zones.

Why? Because of the button bar displaying the Default Zone and Add Zone buttons.

The end result of this design flaw is that the viewable area for applying a camera motion zone is reduced at the top, so anything that happens in this inaccessible area will not be picked up by the Ring app, even though the Stick Up Cam has clear visibility of said area, as witness the snapshot and privacy zone views.

So, for example, the camera detects someone breaking in to the car driver’s door, but not the boot.

Is it just me that thinks this is a problem

23-01-2024 01:26:12

Responses (2)

J
User Solution

Hi @user75048. I was able to find this Community post where other neighbors shared a similar concern as yours. There is a marked solution with an explanation.

25-01-2024 07:45:06

U

With all due respect, as far as I can elicit from the thread of messages you refer to, there is no solution that resolves the problem.

All that is required is for the Ring app development team to look at three elements in the app - the snapshot viewable area in the Dashboard, the Privacy Zones edit viewable area and the Camera Motion Zones edit viewable area.

For safety, I have taken multiple screenshots, should the Ring app get an update anytime soon.

To put it simply, I and other users want the edit viewable area for Camera Motion Zones to be exactly the same as the edit viewable area for Privacy Zones, and the same as the snapshot viewable area in the Dashboard.

Ergo, allow users to apply motion zones to what the camera sees, and not a cropped area that makes the security function of the camera neither use nor ornament.

26-01-2024 05:44:08

U

No!! This topic has not been solved. And you know it. All that is happening is Ring waiting for the close date before moving on without a resolution that meets the expectations of me, and those people in the thread of messages you pointed me at. If that Solution checkbox was checked, it wasn’t me that checked it. You didn’t even have enough respect to reply to my message of January 26, 2024. So I am going to do what I should have done in the first place and attach three photos - Privacy Zones view, Camera Motion Zones view, and Live View. Take a look at those three photos and ask yourself - which view would you be happy with to mark up for motion detection?

06-02-2024 09:47:40

S

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

07-03-2024 09:48:35

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User