Caitlyn’s Guide to Optimizing your Doorbell’s Motion Detection

Motion detection is one of the most key features of your Doorbell and it’s important to get the settings just right for your home. This guide will cover some of the basics I used to adjust the motion detection on my Doorbell. Adjusting these settings can help you be notified of the motion events that happen in your Motion Zones!

Motion Zones
The first step for me was taking a look at my Motion Zones . These zones allowed me to choose where I wanted to be alerted of motion and where to ignore. When customizing your Motion Zones, take note of the paths which visitors often take so you can draw the zones there, while excluding areas in which you rarely see people. I had to try out drawing a few different zones to figure out what worked best for me and my home, so you may need to experiment a bit as well. See our Community article here for more information on Customizable Motion Zones, as this feature is available on almost all our battery and hardwired Doorbells.

Motion Frequency
After setting your Motion Zones, you’ll want to consider the Motion Frequency if you have a battery-powered Doorbell. Adjusting the Motion Frequency helped me when there was consistent motion in one of my Motion Zones that I was already aware of, such as my friends playing soccer in the front yard. Instead of being repeatedly notified about this motion, I can swap the Motion Frequency to Periodically . Alternatively, if you live in a low-traffic area, you can swap it to Frequently because you won’t have to worry about too many repeat notifications in a low-traffic area. In addition to the Motion Frequency selector, there is a Motion Sensitivity slider available to help you further fine tune the area your devices cover to trigger a motion event.

Placement
Finally, the placement and angling of your Doorbell is also critical when it comes to the motion detection. My Doorbell originally wasn’t capturing motion events, so I took some time to reposition it and adjust the angle of its line of sight. It’s a common misconception that the Doorbell needs to be installed up high, but this can often cause it to pick up motion farther away, such as cars passing by in the road. The proper mounting height for the Doorbell is 48 inches from the ground, and mounting it at this height can help it better detect visitors at your door.

Wedge and Corner Kits
I have steps leading up to my front door, and a Wedge Kit helped me angle the Doorbell’s view downward so it was more focused on my walkway rather than the street’s activity. The Corner Kit , which is similar to the Wedge Kit but angles the device left and right versus up and down, helped me angle my Doorbell’s view away from any walls that may be in its view, as the reflection from the Doorbell’s sensor can bounce off the walls and make it harder to see at night and distort the image. The Corner Kit helped minimize this issue so my Doorbell has a clearer view at all times.

Hopefully my experience helps guide you as you fine-tune your motion settings to your liking and to get the most out of your Doorbell. Feel free to share any tips and tricks you’ve used below to help other neighbors! :slight_smile:

Please note: The Moderators Corner is a place for moderators to post tips for using Ring devices. Views expressed are the moderators’ own and not those of Ring.

4 Likes

Ring’s Motion Frequency algorithm is an internal program that runs inside of your Ring device. It analyzes the traffic patterns of detected motions, looking for repetitive patterns. When it detects such a pattern, it essentially “sleeps” your device for a certain period of time, cutting down the number of motion alerts you’ll get from the same set of stimuli. The more time a repetitive pattern of motion continues, the longer the time between issuing motion alerts.