Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
J
Bypass chime w/ Ring Pro 2 and Powerkit v3
hardwired-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
How can I connect my Ring Pro 2 while bypassing my existing chime? The instructions for the Ring Pro 1 tell you to peel back the sticker and use the bypass mode of the PowerKit v2, but the RingPro 2 ships with the PowerKit v3 that does not have any bypass input. The instructs for Ring’s other products suggest that bypassing the chime without a wire-wrapped resistor is a Bad Idea and a fire risk, but that’s exactly what Ring support told me to do when I called them.

17-02-2022 12:12:55

Responses (10)

D
I have the same problem with my Pro 2 doorbell. There is no bypass button under the orange label on the v3 Power kit.

17-02-2022 02:55:43

D
I have a Pro 2 and use my existing mechanical chime so this suggestion may be of no use. Could you connect the v3 power kit as instructed and through the app, under Doorbell chime type, disable the in home doorbell and/or select the Digital Chime option under Doorbell type?

18-02-2022 07:02:42

M
I'm also curious about this. My doorbell is saying it is not getting a full 16v, one suggestion for previous kit versions was bypass mode to get more voltage to the doorbell.

20-02-2022 11:50:06

U
Ssme here. Did you bypass?

19-07-2022 03:21:59

C
Hi neighbors! I looked into this and can confirm that the Pro Power Kit v3, which comes with the Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2, does not have a bypass option on it. However, you can still bypass your internal chime kit by connecting your Doorbell Pro 2 directly to a compatible low-voltage transformer (16-24 VAC, 50 or 60Hz, 40VA max) or by using the Ring Plug-In Adapter (2nd Gen). You would need to twist the two wires together that are connected to the house chime terminals (front or back door and trans) to complete the circuit to your transformer. When bypassing the chime kit, you do not need to install the Pro Power Kit v3. In the Ring app, you will choose **I don't need it** when asked **Did you install the included Pro Power Kit?** during the setup process. As for the [plug-in-adapter](https://ring.com/products/video-doorbell-plugin-adapter-gen-2), set the adapter down near an outlet that is close to your door but do not plug it in yet. Run the cable to your Doorbell Pro 2 and use the included cable clips to secure it to your wall. Attach the wires to the terminals on the rear of your Doorbell Pro 2, then plug in the plug-in adapter. Your Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 should light up. I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any concerns with wiring your Doorbell Pro 2 directly to a low-voltage transformer, we recommend contacting a qualified electrician for assistance. :)

21-02-2022 11:14:48

J
For anyone who is curious—there is lots of information on the ring website stating that for earlier models if bypassing the chime you *must* connect a resistor in series. This does not appear to be the case with the Pro 2. I tested this setup with and without a resistor (the one ring itself sells), and with the resistor, according to device settings the voltage was ‘poor’ and the power output ‘level 3’. (without the resistor, the voltage was ‘good’ and the power output ‘level 1’, which you need for the advanced features to work. This was with Ring’s own transformer, and regular 18 gauge doorbell wire. The documentation on Ring’s site really needs to be updated.

22-02-2022 05:11:20

D
Is this still working well for you without resistor? They still don't have any documentation on this and when I called Ring tech support, the guy seemed confused by what I was even asking and kept telling me to use the bypass mode and sent me instructions for the Pro, even though I emphasized that I have a Pro 2 and that the Power Kit that came with my Pro 2 doesn't have the bypass mode. His eventually conclusion was that I should buy the spare parts pack and that'll come with the Power Kit with bypass mode and to use that for the Pro 2, but I'm not confident in this information.

25-05-2022 12:12:19

C
Hi @Dave76. You can find the instructions for bypassing your internal chime kit with the Video Doorbell Pro 2 in the marked solution. https://community.ring.com/t/bypass-chime-w-ring-pro-2-and-powerkit-v3/116553/5 You do not use the Pro Power Kit v3 and you also should not be using a resistor. To bypass your chime kit, your Doorbell Pro 2 will be wired directly to the transformer. The two wires connected to the chime terminals need to be twisted together to complete the doorbell circuit in this installation.

25-05-2022 07:54:11

D
Then why did phone support tell me to order the spare parts pack to get the Power Kit v2 with bypass mode? Given the conflicting info from support and the lack of official documentation on this like the other devices have, I was hoping to get feedback from another customer like @Jdm2140 who has been running with it directly wired.

26-05-2022 04:18:18

C
@Dave76 I apologize for any misinformation you may have received when contacting support. The information that I shared on bypassing your internal chime kit with the Doorbell Pro 2 is correct, and I do not recommend attempting to use the Pro Power Kit v2 in this case. It is not designed for use with the Doorbell Pro 2. Similarly, I see that @Jdm2140 mentioned using a [resistor](https://ring.com/products/wirewound-resistor) with the Doorbell Pro 2. This is also not recommended, as the resistor is for the Video Doorbell - Gen 1 and the Video Doorbell 2. There are various different Doorbell models and they do not all have the same installation requirements.

26-05-2022 07:40:36

D
This did NOT work . The transformer (a Ring transformer) emitted a horrible hum and the app reported low voltage and level 3. Now my Ring won't connect to wifi and just keeps reporting "Setup did not complete. Check your internet connection" when I try to reconnect!

27-05-2022 07:31:45

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User