Automated privacy shutter for Indoor Cam

I just installed my Ring security system and have uninstalled my sole (inside) camera. I want the camera completely disabled in all modes except Away. Having it record anytime we walk thorugh the room in which it is installed is a creepy invasion of privacy. I will not purchase another Ring camera until I have this capability. I had this feature with SimpliSafe; thier camera actually had a metal privacy shield that shut over the lens unless the security system was in away mode. I really liked that feature.

Hello poormansw.

What you are requesting is actually already a feature.

You can learn more about it here:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036107792-Control-All-your-Ring-Cameras-with-Modes

I hope this helps.

Thank you for bringing this up ! @poormansw If you are having any troubles or concerns enabling this feature or it’s functionaility, please reach out to our support team here. Additionally, you brought up how SimpliSafe has a metal privacy shield, we actually have this as well for our Indoor Cam! It’s an exclusive offer that we are sending out in batch emails to our neighbors with a free code to obtain a privacy cover that looks like this:

Indoor-Cam-Cover-Closed.png

If you are interested in this cover and have yet to get the email, please also reach out to our support team for that so they can order this for you!

@Chelsea_Ring this is actually NOT a current feature for Ring Indoor cam. What @poormansw is talking about is an automated mechanical shutter for the indoor cam.

I would also like to request this feature to implement an automated privacy shutter for the camera similar to SimpliSafe’s indoor cam. My indoor camera is mounted to the ceiling, and I cannot afford to get out a ladder every time I want indoor privacy, no matter what kind of software workaround there is currently. I want to be sure my camera vision is physically blocked when I’m at home.

I just want to be sure @poormansw concern was not written off because there’s already a “software fix”.

Thanks

1 Like

I am necroing this thread because this is still an issue.

The Simplisafe privacy shutter turns on and off (remotely I may add) depending on what mode the house is in. I had the shutter on for Home and Off, but would be open for Away. It did it on its own.

This is something they’ve had for years. Why has Ring not incorporated this? A manual shutter is an inconvenience that, let’s face it, does not have to be, and has been solved by your competition. I switched to you for your range of devices, but the indoor camera is kind of useless when I just keep the manual cover on no matter what.

1 Like