Arm system with front door still open, don't require bypass

Does Ring ever give insight if problems like this are addressed or not?

2 Likes

Please fix. It’s really annoying. I love going out with the kids and leaving the phone behind. Please let the main door sensor be armed once the exit time has expired

1 Like

This has got to be a simple fix, come on ring. I literally have to shut the door on my kids outside to arm the alarm

1 Like

Agree with everyone here. It is in really irritating to have to close the door and return to the keypad. The fix is simple. Arm the system at the end of the countdown period. Any sensor not as required triggers the alarm.

The concern may be that someone drives off and leaves a screaming siren behind them 15s later, with a callout initiated because they didn’t close the kitchen window or something .

To deal with this the alarm should say which sensor requires bypass. e.g. “front door open “. Ignore and leave. Alarm arms after countdown. Or, “Bathroom window open”. Oops, better rectify that.

Come on Ring

K

Just installed system and found this annoying flaw. Looks like customer support just reply with platitudes. It’s such a simple thing to fix so why is this discussion going on for 18 months. System may be going back.

1 Like

Thank goodness I found this feature request and associated issue (Front door requires bypass if open - #69 by YetAnotherUsername). Was about to drop £289 on the XL pack with siren but I’ll wait until this is fixed. With kids we’ll hardly ever arm with the door shut, and getting them to remember to do this on their way out just won’t happen - the system will end up unarmed.

It’s nearly 2 years since I originally posted about this. Front door requires bypass if open

It’s nice to see some other requests have been implemented e.g. outdoor camera to work as alarm sirens, which shows Ring/Amazon do listen, so I wonder why this issue still remains?

1 Like

I cant understand why this hasnt been implemented yet?! It seems so simple just to add an option for the main exit/entry door to be open and still set the alarm fully. Every other alarm system I have ever had allowed me to do this. If I bypass the sensor, when anyone comes home, the alarm goes off without warning! Stupid!

1 Like

This has to be a flaw. I understand part of the logic behind this bypass mechanism that you would like to leave a window open occasionally when the alarm is armed but we would never leave a door open! It surprised me a few times that when I opened the front door the system didn’t sound warning until I realised about this bypass feature.

What I would like to see:

1. A toggle under contact sensor settings to allow us to enable/disable bypass for this particular sensor.
  2. A toggle to disable bypass completely, for those who don’t need this feature at all.
  3. A notification sound from the base station to announce the bypassed sensors. This would make new users aware of this bypass feature.

This is a major security flaw!

1 Like

I’m surprised to find myself at a 2 year old feature request page as I thought I was being stupid for not being able to find the setting to change this.

Entry/Exit door needs to be a special case. Just make an extra beep or warning before arming. Once armed if it’s still open then alarm immediately. This is a simple way to deal with somebody leaving a different entry/exit open or there is a problem with the sensor. This is how other alarm systems I’ve had deal with this.

Most of us have the keypad by the front door - you pack the car, kids, whatever and then set the alarm before leaving and closing the door behind you. I like the system a lot but this would’ve been a deal-breaker if I’d known and can’t recommend it fully to people now with out saying how annoying this is :frowning:

Thanks!

1 Like

@Marley_Ring What is the status of this feature request? Under review? Under development? Are there a timeline

Find this extremely frustrating, and are baffled that this isn’t a standard feature, it is a product that in any other way is so well developed

1 Like

This is THE ONLY THING I don’t like about the Ring system.

1 Like

How has this still not been implemented?! Seems like such a simple fix that Ring could implement in just a few minutes if they really wanted to. Just make it a tick box option for Main Door Sensors “Ignore State during arming”? Come on ring, such a great system ruined by this design flaw

1 Like

This basic functionality is long overdue!

Ironically, the main image currently on Ring’s UK homepage shows a family arming their alarm as they’re leaving the house… with the door open! I wonder if they chose to bypass their front door sensor :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Marley_Ring can you please provide an update on this feature? I thought Ring was a reputable company. It’s astounding how you are ignoring a lot of people who are asking for this simple feature.

1 Like

This problem still isn’t fixed!? Really. It’s a simple fix. Let us change a setting so the main entry door can be open when the system is set to Away… and it will still be armed and the door sensor monitored.

Really annoying and a security flaw. Such a simple fix… and it really shows that Ring doesn’t care all that much for it’s customers. System would be so much better if they would be more responsive to their customers. Come on RING… fix this issue ASAP.

I have recently replaced a Yale system with the ring system. Whilst it is a very good system and it has better feedback it puzzled me as to why the, “Request to bypass the sensors” every time we set the alarm.
Having just seen the post regarding the issue, I am astounded that any security system has this MAJOR FLAW.
How many people are leaving their property in the belief that it is secure, when it is not.
Given that it is controlled by software, whether embedded or not, why is it so difficult to fix?
Surely it should be a top priority, so when can we expect a fix?

Ok, honestly I didn’t ditch the Ring system since my last post here, as I really like it. But this major flaw is still ridiculous. When is someone on the team going to take it serious?

I exit my home from the garage. When arming from keypad, my garage door is open and I’m forced to bypass sensor. It would be great if the bypassed sensor went back online as the garage closes and if within the exit delay settings. Currently, the sensor goes back online but, will not trigger alarm.

Arm/disarm with the phone App from the driveway. Also more secure as your garage does not have to be a delay sensor.