Any way to dim lights through Transformer?

Wondering if there is any way to dim the lights via the transformer. I’m planning to use standard low voltage LED lights (likely not Ring lights), and wondering if a dimmer can be put in line before or after the transformer to dim the lights?

2 Likes

Hey @G5280. While this is not a feature we offer at this time, this is a great idea! As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

Please note that the Ring lights that can be dimmable or have their light brightness changed for the Smart Lighting system at this time are the Steplights, Pathlights, Spotlights, Floodlight Battery, all our solar Smart Lighting products and the new bulbs we sell. :slight_smile:

Are there any updates on enabling your exterior Ring transformer to dim Ring or non-ring landscape uprights?

1 Like

Hi there, @Kappaboy1392! As mentioned above, only Smart Lighting Devices with brightness options can be dimmed in the Ring app. The Smart Lighting Transformer does not determine this, as the feature exists for the devices once they are connected to a Bridge for smart controls. As for non-Ring lighting, the Transformer does not provide the option to dim those at this time.

Feel free to comment or kudos the Smart Lighting feature request in our Feature Request board. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even if lights cannot be dimmed via the Ring Transformer or app, can an inline dimmer switch be added inbetween the transformer and landscaping lights? I haven’t been able to verify this via the Ring web site - but I assume the transformer is 12 VAC (rather than 12 VDC), and that a dimmer designed for 12 VAC should work. Can anyone confirm??

Hi @ManWithQuestions. In theory, this should work just fine, as long as you have the correct equipment. Our Transformer is a magnetic low voltage transformer, so the dimmer would need to be compatible. This link here has some great information on compatible equipment. I hope this information is helpful!