Alexa no longer provides verbal sensor open/close status

I used to be able to ask Alexa if a sensor was open or closed. Now Alexa says the sensor is not responding yet the device is active in the app and will show open/close when I look at it. Any ideas?

Hi @tomstr6. You can try disabling the Ring skill in the Alexa app, then reenabling it. After that, you may need to discover your devices. Be sure that both apps are up to date and that your devices are using the latest firmware.

I removed the devices and the Ring Skill from Alexa. I reconnected everything and no change. Again, in the Alexa app I can see the device open and close but when asked, Alexa says the device is not responding. Any other ideas or thoughts?

Having the same problem as you and so is my friend’s system. This has started in the past week or so. I too have removed and added back the Ring Skill, removed the contract sensors and added them back but no fix. Talked with tech support but they have no solution. Something in the API or skill has changed. Just wanted you to know you are not alone here. I can confirm 2 separate systems are having this problem.

Hey neighbors. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We understand that we may need to dive into this concern. We’ll need you to call our support team so that we can create a ticket for this issue. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Another option is to send us a private message on Facebook @Ring. Thank you for your patience while we investigate this issue. If you have any other questions in the meantime, don’t hesitate to ask.

This appears to be resolved. As of today it is working again.

Hey neighbors, this issue was resolved with a backend fix. For any neighbors who continue to run into this issue, ask for Alexa to discover your devices again. If that doesn’t do the trick, removing and re-adding the devices should do the trick. Should this concern persist, you’ll want to follow up with our support team to further investigate. Thank you for your patience as our team worked on getting this taken care of! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.