Alarm says name of contact sensor or motion detector out loud

I know other security alarm companies have a system that will call out which contact sensor was just opened. I like that ring makes a chime and all but it would be nice to hear which door was opened.
Example: chime “Front door, open”

I answered this question for a different person with the same request. I’m copying what I stated here as well:

I agree, having just switched from ADT which does allow you to state which door/window is being opened. However there is a work around where you can use an echo device to do this. It does take some extra manual work to do it but once you set it up it seems to do well. Make sure your Amazon and Ring accounts are linked and you have an echo device (dot, show, etc). You just have to go into your Alexa app and at the bottom right select “more” and then select “routines.” Press the “+” sign on the upper right and name it to the door/window you want. Under “when this happens” select “smart home” and the sensor you want and select “open.” Under “add action” select custom and type in “**** window/door open” and then select the echo device. This will allow your echo device to state the window/door that is opening when the sensor picks it up. Unfortunately you’d have to manually do that with each sensor. Yes, it’s annoying but in the end after a little bit of effort, it works just fine.

Can alarm do this? Like when opening/closing a window it says “window open/window closed” or “kitchen door” when it gets detected? Instead of the alert sound? It would be nice to hear the difference between “garage door open” and “upstairs window open” so I know which is more important.
Or when arming the alarm, it says what’s not allowing the arm. Instead of a generic warning that a sensor is being detected or something “

1 Like

When someone enters a door or opens a window, the Ring Alarm Base station plays a sound notification. However, I cannot distinguish which door or window was openend. I would like to setup different sounds per notification so I know which door was openend.

Preferrebly with a custom sound (wav, mp3 upload function) or a text-to-speech functionallity (e.g.: “Nursery window opened”, “Backdoor opened”, etc.).

1 Like

Would it be possible to add the option to have the chirp for the open door / window actually say the name “Door 1” or something like that. I’ve had that option on all of my past alarm companies and it was nice to have the feature.

1 Like

Please allow the ability for the chime to specifically state which door/window is being opened. For example: front door, back door, garage door, window. Please that would be a great addition.

1 Like

I agree, having just switched from ADT which does allow you to state which door/window is being opened. However there is a work around where you can use an echo device to do this. It does take some extra manual work to do it but once you set it up it seems to do well. Make sure your Amazon and Ring accounts are linked and you have an echo device (dot, show, etc). You just have to go into your Alexa app and at the bottom right select “more” and then select “routines.” Press the “+” sign on the upper right and name it to the door/window you want. Under “when this happens” select “smart home” and the sensor you want and select “open.” Under “add action” select custom and type in “**** window/door open” and then select the echo device. This will allow your echo device to state the window/door that is opening when the sensor picks it up. Unfortunately you’d have to manually do that with each sensor. Yes, it’s annoying but in the end after a little bit of effort, it works just fine.

I was shocked that the Ring alarm system did not identify and announce the device that is open.

I replaced an old Alarm.com system that did make those detailed announcements.

3 Likes

This is my third home alarm system. The past two systems had this feature and one was over 10 years old. This is a standard feature. Im surprised ring doesnt have this feature. Please update Ring!

2 Likes

Just another post asking for this feature. If the contact sensor on the front door is triggered, the alarm should announce “front door open”. This is a basic feature and really can’t be that difficult to implement with a generated voice. I shouldn’t have to and won’t use my echo devices to announce what sensor was triggered, that is not a solution. What if I didn’t own any echo devices? Ring doesn’t have google support so no Google assistants either. 3 years of hundreds of people asking for this basic feature and ring is showing no signs of attempting to implement it.

2 Likes

Thanks for this info, it is helpful. But this is still unacceptable that Ring doesn’t offer this out of the box. I’m very disappointed

2 Likes

I have several kids, 5 exterior doors, and a pool. I like how my existing Frontpoint alarm and even my old Simon XT alarm allow for you to choose and configure VOICE CHIMES that ay things like “Front Door Opened” and “Front Door Closed”. With my system I know which door was opened in my house. These sounds could pay from Sonos speakers, Alexa, your Ring Chimes… I would love to see this capability. In Frontpoint when configuring a sensor you can configure 3 words from a long list. The lists are all the same but you can create things like “Back Patio Door” or Sliding Door or Front Door or Gararge Door or Carport Door or Mud room door… etc.

1 Like

Ring absolutely needs to add this feature. Shocking that it has not been implemented yet!

1 Like

I agree. This is the main reason I don’t use Ring’s alarm. This is a critical missing feature. The Echo workaround is nice, but it fails if your wifi/Internet goes out. You shouldn’t need a workaround for such a core alarm feature.