Alarm on stick up

Convenient for my family would be a small battery powered LED light that could be stuck on a door or door frame where the light would be ON when the alarm is active. Sometimes some of us forget, and set off the alarm letting the dog out in the middle of the night, or whatever. It might also be good for my doors that have glass in them for someone to see, light the alarm light in a car. It could convince them that the sign in the yard is real. (If they don’t see all the cameras and spotlights :wink:

1 Like

@CS-FL wrote:

Convenient for my family would be a small battery powered LED light that could be stuck on a door or door frame where the light would be ON when the alarm is active. Sometimes some of us forget, and set off the alarm letting the dog out in the middle of the night, or whatever. It might also be good for my doors that have glass in them for someone to see, light the alarm light in a car. It could convince them that the sign in the yard is real. (If they don’t see all the cameras and spotlights :wink:

@CS-FL , I understand what you are saying, but then it makes me wonder, where are your Alarm Base Station and Keypads located? Both the Base Station and Keypad already have these Alarm Mode Status-Lights.

The Alarm Base Station Mode Status-light:

I understand that most people prefer their Base Station connected directly to their router via Ethernet cable and therefore your Base Station might not be in a location that is visible from your door. But the Base Station is Wi-Fi capable to connect to your router, which allows you move it, so it can be seen by someone at the door (and/or thieves outside your glass door). But for normal operation, the Base Station would still need an electrical outlet nearby to plug into for electrical power.

The Keypad Alarm Mode Status-lights:

Where are your keypads located? They should be near the door (and thieves look to see if a keypad is present). I know many people have their keypads constantly plugged into a wall outlet, to constantly charge the internal battery. But the power cord might hinder the ability to mount the keypad close to the door. But Keypads operate just fine on their battery power alone too! Using only Battery power for a Keypad, the typical recharge is once every 6 months. The mounting bracket allows the Keypad to simply slide out for ease of recharging. Also, a Keypad mounted right at the door makes arming/disarming very convenient. As long as you have the Keypad’s “Power Save” setting OFF, you will see Alarm Mode Status Light Buttons:

For Keypad (Gen1)

Ring Alarm Keypad has three power save options:

• Plugged in: Mode buttons light is always on. Numbers light up when it’s dark or motion is detected.
  • Battery-powered, with power save on: Mode buttons light up when a button is pressed. Numbers light up when it’s dark and any button is pressed. This option will conserve the most energy.
  • Battery-powered, with power save off: Mode buttons light up when motion is detected. Numbers light up when it’s dark or motion is detected.

For Keypad (Gen2)

The Ring Alarm Keypad has two power save options (same, whether Plugged-in or only on Battery power):

• With power save on: Mode buttons light up when a button is pressed. Numbers light up when it’s dark and any button is pressed. This option will conserve the most energy.
  • With power save off: Mode buttons light up when motion is detected. Numbers light up when it’s dark and either (1) a button is pressed or (2) motion is detected.

In addition to mounting my Base Station is a visible location, I have several Keypads (Gen2) mounted near each door. Whenever I approach a door, the Keypad illuminates the Mode Status-Lights, allowing me to quickly know the alarm status.

If you only own one Keypad and have multiple doors, you might want to consider purchasing another Keypad (either Gen2 or the cheaper Gen1 since both are compatible with the Alarm Base Station). By better placement of my Base Station and/or Keypads, I’ve achieved the very request that you are asking for.

I hope this information helps you and your family, from accidentally setting off the alarm :slight_smile:

It would be awesome to have little LEDs to stick to the doors that could turn green or red, or just on for armed (vs. off for disarmed). The batteries last so long in the other zwave and zigbee devices I have, that battery consumption shouldn’t be an issue.