Adding Randomness to Light Schedules

I have several legacy digital light timers I used when going out of town to turn lights on and off to make it look like someone is home. These timers have a feature to randomize on and off times in a +/- 30 minute window. This is a great feature because the lights are coming on and going off at varying times day to day so appear more “natural” than the exact same times each day.

So I have dumped these legacy digital timers and moved up to Ring smart lights but to my dismay, I don’t see how to add any randomness to on/off times using the light schedules in the Ring app. Is there a way to do this? If not, can it be added as a feature update? This capability is simple for a computer or phone app to provide since it knows the time and can adjust with a random offset.

Thank you

Good question, @AverageJoe! There certainly is an offset setting for your Smart Lighting in the Ring app. From the dashboard, open the menu and select devices, then select your desired Smart Lighting group/ device. After selecting the Light Schedules option, naming the schedule, and choosing the Smart Light devices to be used, the next page will allow you to choose the times for turning lights on and off.

For turning lights on there will be an option of dusk or a custom time. When selecting dusk there will be an offset option for 30 minutes - 1 hour before or after dusk. For turning lights off you will have the option of at dawn, a custom time, or 3/6/4 hours after dusk.

While it does not look like there is a random offset per say, there are many options to fine tune the light scheduling functionality.

As we value our neighbors’ feedback, if the above did not provide exactly what you are looking for we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

Thanks Marley. I did find the offset settings but the offset times are fixed so there will not be much variance day to day.

I will post the request on the Feature Request Board as suggested.

Thank you

1 Like