Add Mobile and Chime Sound Notifications for Mailbox Sensor

Please integrate Mailbox Sensor with Chimes and App Sound Notifications to announce mailbox motion sensor detected motion.
It would be great if the app could create a Sound that says “YOU’VE GOT MAIL AT YOUR MAILBOX” or a distinct ring alert for Mailbox motion. Additionally to have a specific Sound alert on ring chime option as well.

I have been looking for this option everywhere. I want to have ring options like all the cameras and doorbells have. If it had this option, I would instantly know if I had to answer a door or run to the mailbox. Please initiate this option on the mailbox sensor.

Could your PLEASE create a way to link a Chime or Chime Pro to the Mailbox motion sensor?

Or provide a way to somehow alert the residents that mail has arrived. The notification on the phone is, well, useful but not satisfactory. If I’m not sitting there staring at my iPhone I’ll miss the notification.

Yes - I have figured out a way to view HISTORY and see the event. But isn’t the purpose of Ring events to provide instantaneous notifications of things? A link to the CHIME would suffice. Especially if we could pick a unique sound to represent the Mailbox sensor alert.

I’m a Ring enthusiast. And own a half dozen or so doorbells, cameras, chimes, and now a mailbox sensor. DON’T DISAPPOINT your loyal customers.

1 Like

Thanks for leaving a feature request, neighbor! Our Community is public to anyone who visits community.ring.com. For this reason, we have edited your post which contained personal information. At your earliest convenience, please review our Guidelines to ensure we are making the Community the best it can be for all neighbors. Thank you :slight_smile:

As the title states, I would like the ability to change the app alert tone when the mailbox detects motion. Also, it would be nice to be able to connect the mailbox motion alert to my chime pro. I have a problem with people stealing my mail and I miss the alerts. Thanks.

Why doesn’t the Ring Mailbox Sensor work with the Ring Chime? It only makes sense to get an audible sound AND a phone notification, covering all bases; if you’re home without your phone near by or if there’s nobody home so you know if/when mail was delivered. This seemed like such a no-brainer that I assumed I could and purchased one when they first came out. So here I am sometime later checking in and still seeing this is not an option, even with the Bridge I have. Can this happen PLEASE! Otherwise I’m just sticking with my cheap sound making mailbox alarm from Amazon while The Ring Mailbox Sensor gathers dust in a drawer. Thanks!

2 Likes

I would like to have alert sound options in the mailbox sensor settings similar to those in doorbells and cameras. For example, I’d like to hear something like “You’ve got mail” on my phone or through my echo devices. At the very least it should be able to link with Chime Pro and play a unique sound.

1 Like

I somehow managed to get this working; had a unique tone. Not sure but I think it was in android settings, maybe sounds or apps. Wherever it was, it ONLY went off when the mailbox sensor was triggered. After either a ring app or android upgrade, it stopped; now I can’t get it working again.

GOT IT again. And this is only for android devices.

It may be release dependent; I THINK I had set the default ring app tone and since all other right alerts had specific tones, that worked. Now, upgraded android and ring, it was different.

In settings, at least now, you get to the same place two ways. Apps, choose RIng, , then notifications. OR choose notifications, then app settings, then ring.

You should see all your alerts, motion, rings, for each device. Strangely I see two entries for each, one lists how many notifications you got (per week, per day, depending on the frequency). The sensor in question is “Ring Smart Lighting”, and I’m sorry if you have other smart lighting sensors; unless they are listed separately, I can’t help you.

So I set the smart lighting sensors to two different sounds and triggered it; the sound I believe was the one with the count of notifications. No, setting one doesn’t go to the other. I opted to just leave both set to the same sound, and now I get my special mailbox tone. (I tried using the AOL .wav file “You got mail”, which I managed to get to my phone, and could play, but when i used that, it chopped off the first word for some reason. Doesn’t matter, I can go back to knowing exactly when my mail is here.

It’s still a shame that the app can’t set it inside, and as I said, if you have anything else classified as “Ring Smart Lighting” I have no idea if it will list each sensor. And of course I have no clue whether there is something comparable for different platforms (iPhone, iPad, PC, Mac, and anything else they might support). Still, those of you following this may want to try this.

Sorry I didn’t see this thread sooner. When my mailbox is opened, my Echo device announces. “You’ve got mail! … More junk.” I did this by setting up a routine in Amazon Alexa app. It will recognize the Ring mailbox sensor as a trigger for the routine.

1 Like

It appears that this feature has been requested on several different forums for at least two years. Will this ever be an option??? A sound that’s more attention grabbing, and ability to have a chime sound
out a notification, as well, just plain makes sense.

1 Like

Wish I’d found this thread before I started a new one. I see I posted in here how I got it working. Well, it stopped working a while ago. I still have the setup as I described above, but it no longer works. Very disappointing. I don’t know if Android broke, something or ring did, but I think it might have had to do with a ring update that happened a while ago. Is there any way to get this working again?

I’ve seen a lot of older requests for the mail sensor to work like all the other ring products where we can select a sound. Right now it dings. That’s not good, and no email either.

I am surprised that this request has been ignored. Why is that, and when can we expect to see a change?

The mailbox sensor only dings - please add “App Alert Tones” option to this device. This is not loud enough/unique enough. I have seen older requests to have this updated to work like the other devices with “app Alert Tones.” Will this becoming?

I just spent money on this thing. It works, but the phone app is way to quiet and there needs to be a way to ding my chime or sell me something that will alert me better. Unless I’m right at my phone its pretty worthless. I’ve thought about a lightbulb, but that seems to be cumbersome. Are there any other ways to know when it triggers?

Does anyone monitor this? My question is a month old and no reply.

I just spent more money to try and troubleshoot this myself. I bought an LED bulb, programmed into my system in hopes that the mailbox alarm would trigger the bulb. That worked great, but here is the issue…

The light comes on when linked to the mailbox, but there is no way to extinguish it when retrieving mail. In addition, the light turns off in a set time - 5 minutes is the max. Does no good if I’m gone and the mail comes, when I come home, would be nice to have the light on!

I can’t understand why,

1. the chime can’t be linked so we can hear it through the house.
  2. the phone app does NOT have an option for a tone generated from the mailbox that is unique
  3. the LED can’t be programmed to do as we please.

Your company saw fit to raise my (and everyone’s) fees by a HUGE percentage the past two years, but you don’t see fit to support issues that have clearly been on this site for years. Shameful support.

I’ve tried on multiple locations to figure out why there is no response to issues other than a no response-no response…

The majority of mailbox users are asking the same thing:

1. Why is there no interaction with the Chime?
  2. Why can’t we a have a unique tone on our phones.
  3. Why wont the mailbox interact better with an LED light.

A simple interface with the chime or an LED that stayed on until the mail was retrieved would be a simple fix - you’d think. There is no being bashful from Ring on rate increases but make a request (this one goes back four years), and you’d think “we the customer” are the ones who are being rude. The internal software is so proprietary on Ring and we all have so much “SmarHome”, but we can’t access it because of lack of support.