Add A Ring Solar panel to Extend Battery Life

…The problem is back…??..but it’s charging…

Our solar panel has not charged the battery since november 26TH. Prior to that the charge woud not drop below 98%, since the 26th no charging. The camera has been reset, brought inside and the battery charge witha a usb charger, once everything has been re-installed outside the batter keeps dropping. The twitter team told me the panel only charge the battery when it gets below 90%, is that new???

Hello, you are not doing anything wrong, this is an on-going bug that ring does not fix…

From what charge% does the panel start to charge the battery? Another user told me that the panel will only charge if the battery drops below 90%…? Is this correct?

Hi @Arjulaad. Can you please contact our support team for further assistance with your Solar Panel? They’re able to pull up your account and device so they can take a more in-depth look to help make sure everything is working properly. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hello, calling your support team is time consuming, that being said i did, i was told to wait after winter is over…??? Go ring go! ??‍♂️

Hi , hope it stays that way??. Here it goes from connected to add a panel, several times a day and recently the panel does not seem to charge correctly. A tech person at ring told me that the panel will only charge when he battery drops below 90% which is NOT the way it worked since we had it.

No longer works properly , it switch between connected and add panel, several times a day, on top of that the panel no longer charges properly.

I doubt very much that this is happening because you have a first generation…Ring does not fix this…

Mine is doing exactly the same thing on my spotlight cam and the other which is a stick up cam has stopped solar charging all together. Every day its a new issue with this junk brand.

Hi, we also have contimuous issues with ours and it is frustrating, ring’s support certainly has a sense of humor, the person i spoke with told me to wait after winter. Sometimes it charges , sometimes it does not, during sunny days. Is it the cam, the solar panel, the battery, we just don’t know? One person on their twitter team told us the battery has to drop below 90% BEFORE the panel starts to charge it which is NOT true.

Good luck!

Hey @Arjulaad. I just wanted to share some information to confirm what you were told was correct. In this Help Center article here, it states that our Solar Panel will not charge until the battery has reached 90%. Rest assured, the information is valid and accurate. These Help Center articles here and here have some great information on Solar Panels. I hope this helps!

Hello,

The link is for an article for a doorbell, the issues we’re having are with a spotlight cam. Since we had it and until the major outage november 26th 2020, the battery would not drop below 98%. This particular battery does not go to a 100% even with a usb charger. I replaced it with a spare battery and even though the past 2 days were cloudy, the charge dropped to 98% yesterday and today it’s back at a 100%. I called last week to get a replacement battery for it, it’s not 5 month old and the ring rep told me i had to wait unil the winter was over…

The cam no longer works, we bought it december 8th 2019, it stopped working december 16th 2020, Ring won’t exchange it because the warranty is over! During te period we had constant issues and problems with it and we did ask for a replacment that never came…:-1:t2:

@Arjulaad, @Tom_Ring. Unfortunately I seem to have similar issues. I have a spotlight cam battery with solar. Initially I was not sure if it was set up correctly or charging so I decided to reset it (hold for 20s) and redo the installation ensuring that during the setup it was a spotlight cam battery with solar option. For 1 day (before nightfall), I did see a successful message saying something like it was connected and able to charge. The next day, I got a message saying it was connected but not enough sunlight to charge. Now, I get messages like the others “Extend battery life with a ring solar panel”. It is bright sunlight outside so I am unsure and concerned on the inconsistencies. Any other suggestions? Should I try to re-set it up?

Hi @Noobie. If resetting the camera didn’t cause it to report the correct connection status and show that it is charging, I would monitor it for a few days. Sometimes it will not start until charge until the battery hits 90%, then the solar will charge. If this doesn’t seem to be the case, I would contact our support team for the next best steps. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I have had to “reset” my solar panel twice in 10 days. Before I return it for a refund tomorrow, can anyone explain why I have to reset this so often?

Symptoms
Day one: Solar panel connection is recognized.
Day five: No Solar panel connection is recognized.
Day five after unplug/replug: Solar panel connection is recognized.
Day ten: No Solar panel connection is recognized.
(weather - nothing unusual; camera protected by porch roof)

no longer having this issue. :slight_smile: i have another camera and solar panel and all working well.

1 Like

Good morning, this is an ongoing issue that ring is aware of but are not fixing. If the temperature is not below 32F ours charge just fine but the status of the solar panel change several times a day………Too bad ring is not willing to fix this. Your first setup was probably fine. When it’s warm enough the panel does a good job and we don’t have to touch the batteries at all, when mid-october arrives it stops charging until spring🤷🏻‍♂️

Good morning, did you notice if the charge of the battery was stable? Here the status of the solar panel changes several time a day even though everything is properly setup and in working order. Good luck!