Ability to reboot devices from app

My solar stick up cam will not go to live after I have reconnected to live over and over about ten times. I sometimes do this with my front yard cam keeping an eye out for the mail delivery. After about ten times it won’t go to live anymore. The easy fix is a power cycle and it is back to working right away. I just take the battery out and put it back in. At first I had the camera mounted up high but I then moved it down so I would not need a ladder. I called tech support but she was clueless. I think this is built in to limit the number of times you can reconnect to live.

This feature IS AVAILABLE on Nest/Google cameras and smart displays, so why not on RING devices. My home is a mix of both brands. I’m at a loss why I have to climb a ladder, undo a battety, plug the battery back in, to perform a soft-reset… Which obviously can be done with a simple APP implementation. GOOGLE did it… Ring are you going to do it?

This is one of the most ANNOYING and IDIOTIC things about Ring Video products… that I have to climb on ladders every time the wifi briefly loses signal! It is 2022, are you freaking kidding me?!

Makes me want to throw all Ring products in the trash.

Yes, you should be able to reset camera remotely!

+1 for adding the ability to reboot devices from the app. This seems like a basic function found on most smart home devices. Why isn’t Ring up to date with this basic functionality?

I agree, need to add Restart Ring devices remotely to the app.
My Doorbell Pro Audio stopped working. Support wanted me to factory reset and loose all settings. I disconnected power to “Restart” instead of resetting it and it worked again.
Many other apps allow you to restart devices, like Linksys Velop

Having an issue right now where advice is to reboot camera. So I either need to pull breaker (not the end of the world) or hop on ladder and reset. Doing through app - including hard reset would be nice.

Also does Ring ever comment or respond to these threads? I see so many feature request threads with little or no commenting by Ring. Sort of feels like defeating purpose?

I have a floodlight pretty high up and need a ladder to reset it from time to time. Begged for this feature for years. I ended up buying a “Shelly One 1” wifi relay switch. Wired up my floodlight connection to the relay switch which is connected to the power-source. Now have the ability to restart the unit remotely within the Shelley app, Smartthings, Google Home, Alexa. Can even set routines, schedules in app or smarthome devices to reboot daily if needed. Best thing I spent $15 since I bought the flood light. Will work for any ring device that is hardwired up to 15amps.

1 Like

Still surprised this feature does not exist… My floodcamera crashes the audio constantly… And only works when I restart it… I need to turn the circuit breaker off and on to restart it… Very inconvenient…

My water sensor tells me when it is offline and then somehow, even though it is in the garage and further from the WiFi, reconnects automatically. I am STUNNED that Ring can’t, or won’t, do this.

It appears this functionality was added to the iOS app update released yesterday (v5.52.0). You are now able to reboot camera devices from within the Device Health section.

1 Like

My Ring Video Doorbell 2 frequently drops its connection. I live in a busy city and so there is likely to be significant interference (I get it and have tried everything I can on my home internet and with my ISP). But once it drops…that’s it. As others have noted, there’s no notification and there’s no way to reconnect it unless you’re physically at home.

This defeats the whole purpose of these devices, is a critical hole in Ring’s supposed commitment to security, and seems fairly easy to fix. Please allow remote reconnections (or better yet automatic where the device periodically tries to reconnect on its own).

Is there an answer to this?
I have the same problem and need to remotely reset!! @Ringuser61616

1 Like

Still no reply from ring customer support.

1 Like

+1 on this. I have two stick up cameras and a doorbell and one of the cameras has gone offline. All three were fully charged at the same time shortly before I went away last week, and the two more frequently used ones are still very full, so most likely not a battery issue. This camera is also in the same room as my router, so connectivity is also not the issue, otherwise all three would have gone offline, and the other two devices are further away. So it looks like a one-off disconnect. I still have the two outdoor devices, so some level of security, but I’m away for another week and that offline cam is going to bug me. There needs to be a way to get the cameras reconnected remotely, for when someone is away from home for an extended period of time. Even some kind of firmware update where an offline device keeps attempting to reconnect while the owners are still away would be good.

2 Likes

I would also like an answer to this!

I have a wired Doorbell and wired Spotlight cam. Both went offline and I am away on extended business. Now these cameras are useless. If this issue is not addressed in the near future Ring will have to be replaced by a more reliable product.

It is a shame because up until this issue I have been super pleased with their performance. For security, we need more than eye candy. The product needs to be reliable.

Heck, even my old cheapo cameras come back online automatically after a power interruption. It is not rocket science. A simple firmware update is all that is required.

Here I am in Poland on day 3 of 10, and my UK Ring doorbell has dropped out. TOTAL LOSS OF SECURITY. I will not be able to re-connect for a WHOLE WEEK.

RING - DO SOMETHING about this security issue!!

I have the same need. I have multiple cameras in the house. Eleven are functioning normally but two are offline. Those two are closest to the router. Can’t be an Internet issue if the others are connected & working correctly. I think that the two would reconnect if I could reboot them remotely. Please add this capability.

I have the same issues but a workaround is to reset the router which will bring the cameras online again

I have encountered an issue with my stick-up battery camera were it out of nowhere stops providing live view and stops sensing motion, I have seen other posts mentioning similar problems.

In my case I have to physically remove and reinstall the battery from the camera which is faster than pressing the setup button for 15 seconds in order to reboot the camera. Once I perform the procedure the camera starts responding again to motion and providing live view.

During the instances when the camera stops providing live view and motion detection the ring app reports in the device health section that it is online and a recent health status date which means ring/ring app are communicating with the camera.

Please add a feature to both the camera firmware and the ring app that allows for a soft reset/reboot of the camera from the device health section with a button named maybe reboot camera.

Why do I need to physically go to the camera to remove a battery or press a button if this could be done remotely via the app. What happens if I am on vacation and the camera stops working properly and I am not physically there to perform the reset procedures suggested.

Please add the feature to the firmware and app to perform a soft reset of a camera that appears online on the device health section of the app but has stopped sensing motion and providing live view.

I have noticed there is a small drawback to resetting the camera and is that the reboot causes a small loss of battery power but I prefer that to having a device that stopped doing what it is supposed to do.

Thanks