Ability to reboot devices from app

Likewise, I contacted Ring directly via Twitter many months ago, and I can’t see how/why this hasn’t been implemented yet. At the very least you would expect this to be a debug feature - utterly ridiculous that a device has to be manually reset every time it connects to the wrong/weak node of a wireless network. One wonders how such a valuable company can get the basics so wrong…

5 Likes

I agree 10000%. It’s extremely inconvenient and painful process to get up the ladder to press the re-set button.
I don’t see the mind set of the engineers as to what they were thinking when designing this product…

5 Likes

Could not agree more. I’m a 70+++ old lady and I can’t climb ladders which actually bars oldies from being able to use these products. It’s age discrimination. I’ve paid for this system, and for someone to set it up only to find I can’t use it as my WiFi password has changed. In this day and age it should be simple to just change the setting on the app. Why aren’t RING doing something about it?

6 Likes

Yes this is important and odd that we cannot do this with the app.

Those reset buttons are often quite a hassle to get to. Such as climbing ladders, or removing security screw and faceplate from doorbell.

And of course, impossible if you are traveling.

With Ring you’re always home? Not exactly…

4 Likes

just a suggestion in case you hadn’t thought of it. Connect your camera etc to smartplugs. Once your internet connection is restored, you could possibly reboot your camera’s etc by rebooting your smartplugs. That’s what I do for one of my non ring cameras.

Hi there, what did you connect the earth too?

I’m only seeing neutral and live.

A good idea but a major faff that shouldn’t be necessary if the functionality was built into the app. Especially hard in my case as both my floodlight cams and my doorbell are hardwired into the mains.

This is really annoying. If I would have know, I would have gone with a different solution as I mount my camera high up with solar unit and I travel. Any burp in the the internet (which is happening alot right not after a tornado ripped down lines nearby and they are recovering) renders this unit useless until I can get home, climb up on a ladder a reset. Funny that my doorbell resets automatically with not issue. Which tells me you can do it. SO - GET IT DONE PLEASE - Until then I can’t in good faith recommend Ring to Anyone that wants more than a doorbell.

3 Likes

How is this not a feature? You specifically design technology to be installed in hard to reach locations but fail to facilitate a software reboot option from the control center? Please fix this glaring omission. I know I will not be buying more devices to add to my system until this is sorted out.

4 Likes

I Agree with this need

Absolutely agree. My spouse and I are both over 65 and one at least 2 of our cameras require a ladder. This is ridiculous that we cannot reboot from the App. We are considering replacing Ring with another product.

3 Likes

This is really essential. I have a home on multi levels with concrete floors and a mesh network. The chimes tend to join a weak node if their nearest WiFi node is down, and then lock to that weak signal. A remote reboot feature would allow them to reconnect to the nearest mesh node. Or alternatively they could properly support mesh wifi?

1 Like

There has to be a way in the year 2021 to reboot products via the app, I agree with all the other posts getting a ladder to reboot my ring floodlight cam pro that I bought for 280 euro from the fuse board can’t be the only way, one simple button in the ring app would solve this, ring do you have this on your roadmap ?

Thanks

1 Like

I was thinking about a restart option on the ring floodlight also…
Then this thought came into my head…
If the device is not connected to Wi-Fi, how would we restart it from the app?
I dunno…

1 Like

Yes need this. I can turn lights on and off on my flood light cam but its not sending video. So i can communicate to do a reboot if it was available…

It would also be great to incorporate the ability to manually reconnect to Wi-fi remotely after the cameras disconnect for whatever reason. Currently when this happens, I have to take a 4-hour flight in order to push a button on the camera to reconnect to Wi-fi and a 4-hour flight home and which doesn’t feel particularly sensible to me. Might this be likely with a firmware update at some point?

2 Likes

YES! I have a floodlight that’s wired into a soffit. To reboot it I have to either flip a breaker, get in the attic to disconnect the wire, or remove the camera from the junction box since I don’t want a switch on it got security reasons. It’s commonly in need of a reboot and I just ignore it until it starts behaving again.

1 Like

This is a much needed feature, I have two rings located at my mothers home for her security one of the devices keeps dropping off the network it is imperative to able to try to bring these devices back online, as it stands I have 4 hour drive to reach her home, I’m buying a new ring door bell to replace the bad one. This will be the last time that happens as I will drop ring for another vender.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the people at ring could careless. They know we’ll still buy their products regardless

After a recent short power outage, none of my stick-up cams would reconnect to wifi. Rebooting the router did not help. Trying to reconnect a camera via the app only resulted in a failure to connect. According to my router, all the cameras WERE connected. The only way I was able to get everything working again was to power cycle each camera. Needless to say, this was a bit of a pain with the battery powered cams as I had to access those with a ladder. The bigger problem, as I see it, would be if this happened while I was out of town - with no way to physically reset each camera. The ability to reboot from the app would be a very helpful feature.

1 Like