60 day USA 30 day UK?

Can you explain why we have to pay the same in the UK for only half the storage time?
Storage costs don’t vary that much so why do you choose to only give half the time and yet charge roughly the same allowing for exchange rates?

1 Like

Hey @Gimlet. By default, our Ring Protect Plans will cover the past 60 days worth of storage for your Ring device if you in the United States or Canada, but due to various restrictions, your Ring videos are stored in the cloud for up to 30 days if your address is in one of the following countries: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.

We appreciate your feedback and desire to want the 60 day video storage in your area, but we are unable to do more than the past 30 days of video storage at this time. I will make sure to pass on your feedback and desire to have a longer storage time in comparison to other countries to the appropriate teams so we can look into possibly adding more benefits for our neighbors that have this 30 day restriction. You can learn more about the Ring Protect Plan and Video Storage in our Help Center Articles here and here.

So if we only get half the storage time shouldn’t we be paying half the fee for that reduced time?

2 Likes

Agreed. Why aren’t we paying half the price given that we only receive half of the benefits?

1 Like

This is a really poor answer. Blaming “various restrictions” doesn’t tell us anything. Just what are the restrictions that stop you providing a 60 day service in Europe? I can’t think of any. Can you please elaborate.

1 Like

I beleive it is probably to do with the new GDPR that came in over Europe as companies are only allowed to keep CCTV footage for 30 days as a recording of someone is classed as their personal information and you have to right to have it removed from all records like you do with writen information about you and your details. Not sure completely but this could be why Ring can’t hold that footage for more than 30 days.

You might be right but it’s sad that in the last month none of the Ring “Community Managers” have felt able to provide an official answer.

If Ring aren’t going to participate fully in these forums then what is the point of having them?

Nothing to do with GDPR: everything to do with ripping people off.

“Data protection rules do not apply if you install a camera on your own home for household purposes - for example, to protect it from burglary.”

Yes I totally agree, we should only be paying half the price for half the storage time! This is only fair. We are currently payng £25 per Ring device per annum and we have 2, totally £50 per annum which is quite costly to be honest for just half the storage time! Regards, Simon Cardiff