406 errors on ring.com with home network

Just hit the same issue as https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-App/406-Not-Acceptable/td-p/36447

Always got 406 response when access ring.com, also can’t login with APP (both iPhone and Andriod) , but it is fine if I use 4g network

Just looks like my home IP address is on the blacklist

Hey @ghost2004. Do you have any VPNs turned on when trying to access Ring.com or the app on your wifi network? Have you ensured the settings for the ports and protocols on your router have been adjusted to allow you to connect to Ring devices? Try disabling any VPN or adjusting your router settings and let me know if that helps!

I have had no issues with the ring or app for the last 6 months. Today I can’t log into the app, uninstalled and reinstalled didn’t fix. I’m getting the notifications but an error message when trying to view. I had my access removed and added and now getting a 406 error. I’m using an android, no VPN, on mobile data with no other issues with other apps.

Hi @Puma. Great first steps taken! Try checking this list for any apps that might be conflicting with the Ring App. Also, make sure that the Ring app has all permissions allowed. You can even clear the cache and cookies for the Ring app to see if that offers any improvement. If you’ve tried this to no avail, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

So i had the same issue. after investigating, the 406 error started happening after Spectrum( my ISP) issued me new IP address. When i forced a new IP change to a new IP address the issue went away. I called Ring customer service over the phone and gave them the problematic IP address. For some reason they are blacklisting IP addresses that have given them problems in the past and keep them blacklisted. So when those problematic IP addresses get reissued to innocent ring users… you have this problem. After a useless hour on the phone I solved my own problem. But Ring support was useless. I can appreciate their focus on security but evetually they will run out of IP addresses to blacklist and will end up with many more furious ring users if they don’t take a different approach to security.

So to the workaround - every home router has the ability to clone MAC address. In my case on my netgear router i went to the internet port setting and told it to use my PC’s MAC address instead of the default MAC address. When your cable modem or ISP sees a new MAC address, it will issue a new IP address. This is a whole lot easier than calling your ISP and trying to explain why you need a new IP address. You can probably switch back to default MAC address on your router at a later date since IP leases are always changing over a predefined period of time setup by your ISP.