2FA using more than one authenticator app/device

I’ve enabled 2FA and set-up my wife as a shared user, all well and good, but my big issue with the current status of Ring 2FA is that you only have one authentication method when using something like MS Authenticator. For example with my work (MS Office 365) account I can add more than 1x authenticator instance - for example on both my phone & tablet - so that if my phone isn’t available, or I’m on the phone to someone, I can use my tablet to authenticate my account. In Ring this doesn’t seem possible, I can add a MS Authenticator instance on my phone but when I try to add one on my tablet the only option is to set-up Ring 2FA again, nullifying the one on my phone. Ring devs: you really need to enable the ability to add another authentication method for the same account, so that those of us who use apps like MS Authenticator can set it up on more than one of our devices. This isn’t a odd request, I have 4x accounts using MS Authenticator for 2FA - not all Microsoft - and they all support more than one instance of the 2nd stage authentication. Thanks!

Hey neighbor. Over the past year we have been making various efforts to ensure our neighbor’s safety when using their Ring products and services. In an effort to stay in line with industry’s best practices, Ring is phasing out email as a method of account verification as a part of Two-Step Verification, and the options that neighbors have now to log in are the SMS or an Authenticator App. If you are unable to use SMS verification, we recommend using an Authenticator App, which can be installed on a mobile device, PC, or laptop.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, but this unfortunately didn’t answer the question. I have the same problem. My wife and I both want to have an authenticator app on each of our two mobile devices. Right now we can get signed in to both, but should either of us log out and need to log back in, only one of us has an authenticator app that generates a valid code. (The other person can install the app and link it, but the code the second authenticator app generates is different and doesn’t work for signing in.) Thanks for your support.

2 Likes

I’ve got the same issue. Wife an I use the same account, email address. Between us we have at least 6 devices we’d like to use ring on.
How do I set up an authenticator app to allow all our devices to access the ring system. Not a nerd, so a step by step answer would be great.

I’ve looked at this post, its marked solved but I don’t see the solution??

1 Like

Hi @bolek. The marked solution points to the resources we have available on Two-Step Verification and using an Authenticator App. I’d recommend reviewing the Help Center Article on using an Authenticator App for more information on how they work.

FYI: when you generate the link for the QR code, the “secret key” that the QR code represents is also displayed (Ring also provides a Copy Key button. When you want to add your Ring account to a second Authenticator, switch to manual entry and enter the Key that was presented. You can verify it is correct by viewing your first device next to your second device and see the that the codes match and change simultaneously (within a second or two).

1 Like