24/7 Continuous Recording

I use a lot of ring products and tons more nest on various property’s. I pay for the best plans yearly on both. Nest blows ring away by a mile. Whoever is saying pay for your ring plan and you’ll be able to use the 24/7 feature has no idea what they are talking about. Ring only allows for 90 second clips at most. Do yourself a favor and buy a nest if you want the 24/7 recording. May/2021

2 Likes

Insane! I was going to switch everything over to the Ring ecosystem but now Im going to stick with Nest for all my cameras. This is boneheaded Amazon, wake up…

1 Like

My cameras missed someone going around and trying car doors and breaking windows at 5:30am today. If I had continuous recording it would have gotten the guy going past several times, checking the cars parked opposite out my my motion zone etc. Very frustrating that my neighbours nest doorbell caught it all.

I think a good option for Ring and Consumers would be to offer a local storage cache that is locked down. If someone buys one and adds to their setup it could unlock continuous recording and as long as it were on the same LAN, cameras record there and it acts as a master for cloud upload of actual events so they are off site and sabotage proof. Would also provide a neat uninterrupted option for temporary caching if your home network went down briefly.

This way you’d still need a subscription so ring don’t lose out but it offers a local NVR providing additional features.

A simple 1tb HDD, enclosure, small raspberry pi type brain with a network port would do. Come on Ring, Please!

2 Likes

Didn’t see your reply until after posting essentially the same thing! Ring really are missing a trick with this.

1 Like

Please add this, :slight_smile: It would make Ring so much more attractive to a lot of people looking for home security cameras.

1 Like

I previously had only a Nest camera. I bought a Ring doorbell and FloodLight, mainly because I liked the FloodLight.

I did lots of research on the products, but not so much the software - I made the mistake of assuming it would offer the same features as Nest as it appears to, until closer inspection. Big, big Mistake.

Here’s what’s missing (and why I’d recommend staying clear of Ring):
-No support for Live View on web browser, only previous events (Nest has live feature)
-No continuous 24-hour recording (as this thread states, again Nest does this)
-No compatibility for Ring FloodLight with Ring app on Mac. This means there’s NO WAY to get live view on a Mac.

How can it be that such basic things are missing/that there are such basic issues?

1 Like

come on Ring! It’s 2021… you need 24/7 record option. Make a camera that has an SD card or NAS option w/ paid subscription and the ability to go back and view on app ( none of that blink garbage of having to use a module to record) I have to use two camera systems because - I need one w/ 24/7 recording because my ring won’t pick the moment when I needed it; which has already happened numerous times.

1 Like

This is a very much needed feature.
Even lower quality would work better than nothing.

1 Like

Another vote for this feature. I know of quite a few people that would use it, and I certainly would for as many of my Ring devices as my bandwidth would allow!

1 Like

I can’t see Ring ever implementing this.
They wouldn’t want to have to troubleshoot or support the myriad of possible setups people might have to record the video feeds. Lets suppose they’d provide the hardware. That would likely be another monthly fee as to support that piece of complex hardware wouldn’t be cheap.
I’d imagine there’s a very small minority of users that would use this feature if they had to set it up themselves in any fashion. Based on people having issue just setting up a basic Ring camera I can only imagine the issue for some sort of NAS type recording hardware.
It would be nice if they supported that standard video streams that someone could tap into, but then that would cut into their monthly fee that they want.
I have my own setup of security cameras that do record 24/7, but I sure wouldn’t recommend my setup for the average home non-technical user.

Not sure why this is not the #1 most requested feature on the list (and by a huge margin). Without 24/7 recording, Ring security camera isn’t providing much security at all. Record upon motion is not good enough (motion events get missed, or length not long enough or things happening outside of motion zone or things happening without humans at all, like animals or objects )

Granted, there might be hardware limitation that doesn’t allow 24/7 recording with the current cameras. I really hope they have something in the works that can do it. I’d gladly cut my loses with the old cameras and shell out to buy the new ones.

Ring community should be up-voting this feature like crazy.

1 Like

Just curious, say you have 24/7 recording and something happens. If you were to show your local law enforcement the video would they actually do something about it?
In my town, unless the law enforcement actually sees it happening with their own eyes the refuse to rely on a video (clear or not) to look for any perpetrators. They just don’t care about enforcing property crime laws anymore.

1 Like

Ring, take notice your community elders have spoken!

1 Like

had criminal activity in the neighborhood. Each time my ring and everyone else’s caught them after the fact. Leaving crucial seconds before and after that could of helped identify them and be arrested. it wasn’t until someone had a 24/7 system that captured them and quickly lead to the arrest.

Pretty choked that this wasn’t made more clear on the product details page pre-purchase or anywhere where the 60 day storage is mentioned. Was moving over from Nest and just assumed that 24/7 recording was to be expected. There were a few times in the past where 24/7 recording really helped us see something we would have otherwise missed if motion alerts were relied on.