$100 annual subscription vs. free through Apple?

Just wanting to make sure I’m not missing anything. It’s $100/year for cloud storage through Ring if I add a second camera.

At the same time, up to 5 cameras are included for free through HomeKit Secure Video via the Apple iCloud subscription I already pay for.

Assuming I’m going to stick with Apple, and understanding that I’ll have to buy a new HKSV camera, is there any reason why I wouldn’t want to sell my Ring doorbell and move to HKSV?

Not trying to be sarcastic, I just don’t understand why I would pay $100/yr for a service I can get for free.

Hi @Ring_meh. This Help Center article here will highlight all of the benefits that come with our Ring Protect Plus Plan. Below are some of the features that set Ring apart from others:

1. Extended warranties for all devices at the Location with the Ring Protect Plus Plan

2. 10% off select products at Ring.com

3. Rich Notifications and People Only Mode for optimal motion detection

I hope this information showcases the benefits of the Ring Protect Plus Plan subscription.

Thanks Tom!

1 - many credit cards offer an extended warranty. Certainly anyone paying $100/yr for a video doorbell should have one.

2 - 10% off MSRP isn’t particularly compelling since it’s usually possible to get normal items for less than MSRP. Not a terrible perk, but not super valuable.

3 - HKSV cameras like the Logitech Circle View Doorbell already do this

These answers have made it abundantly clear that it’s not worth paying $100/yr when I get it through Apple for free. Thanks for the info and see ya Ring!

Tom,

How about a straight answer from Ring regarding HKSV? I would like to stay with Ring since I have invested in 7 products from your company and bought these products based on HKSV announcements. So many broken promises at this point. Now that multiple companies have HKSV access I am much closer to throwing all your products in the trash. Doesn’t help that you only gave three reasons, 2 of which carry zero weight. The first one of extending warranties has been useful because Ring has had replaced 5 of my cameras.

I’d be curious to know how many ring products were bought based HKSV announcements? Class Action lawsuit?

Hi @CraigFilms. Ring is not compatible with HomeKit or any HomeKit related services. For more information on the features and benefits you get with a Ring Protect plan, you can check out our Help Center Article here. I hope this helps answer your questions.