Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
T
Ring Video Doorbell Wired video stutters exactly once at one specific location?
hardwired-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
video-quality

On Black Friday I bought a Ring Video Doorbell Wired. After fixing the setup (improving WiFi, replacing transformer) the Device Health seems to be OK: (all 3 status messages in green)

• Transformer Voltage: Good (28V)
  • Signal Strength: RSSI -44

However, both in the live view and the (60 seconds) recordings video always stutters exactly once. This is nearly always when a moving object/person reaches a very specific location in the camera image (about 25% of the left, 75% of the right). Somehow it does not matter whether movement is from the left or from the right; there’s always some stuttering when an object/person reaches that specific point…

Is this normal? If not, what setting should I change? Or is the hardware malfunctioning?

22-12-2023 09:08:09

Responses (2)

C

Hi @tinnilus. If possible, please share an example of the stuttering you are seeing in recordings. You’re welcome to trigger a new motion or ding event on the Video Doorbell to share this example. Knowing what you’re seeing on your end makes it easier to provide relevant troubleshooting steps.

22-12-2023 11:36:56

T

While I understand the request, doing so would invade the privacy of people visible in the video and publishing such content (making it public) is illegal in my country.

Best I can do is draw a schematic:

Camera image is from my front garden, with a path (depicted in grey) to my door on the left side of the image (the Ring doorbell is in the lower left corner, in an angle of 45 degrees).

Videos of people (and cars/bikes/etc.) passing by are fluent, except when they reach the path (red person, red snow flake in schema); at that moment there is a noticeable stuttering, after which the movement is fluent again (and as already posted before, it does not matter whether their movement is from left to right or right to left).

23-12-2023 07:35:41

C

@tinnilus I appreciate the diagram, though it is hard to guess at what might cause a stutter in a particular part of your Doorbell’s view. I can recommend the basic troubleshooting steps below:

• Perform a reboot on the Doorbell using the reboot option on the Device Health page. This should only take a few moments.
  • Turn off mobile data on your phone and run a speed test at the location of your Doorbell to ensure you have sufficient download and upload speeds.

If the issue persists, it would be best to get in touch with our support team to look into this further. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to take a closer look and offer more in-depth troubleshooting assistance.

26-12-2023 08:28:23

T

I have already rebooted the doorbell a couple of times (hoping to get rid of the background noise in all recordings - in vain), so that won’t help.

Speed test shows 58 Mbps, both up and down. That should be plenty for the 1080p video of this doorbell?

I hope to call your support team later this week, when I have some time available.

There’s no online chat that I can use instead of a telephone?

01-01-2024 10:41:41

J

Hi @tinnilus. I am happy to chime in. With your concern, it is best to call our support team to have it looked at in more depth.

03-01-2024 04:31:25

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User