General Topics

Not sure where to look? Browse general posts, topics, conversations and more.
U
Privacy Concern (regards to vpn)
app-settings
troubleshooting
notifications
motion-settings
I might have to return my device. It will not send me notifications because ring app isnt compatible with vpns. But my question is why would ring not have an option to send text messages to the home owner, if motion is detected? The answer shouldnt be to disable my vpn indefinitely to recieve push notifications of motion detection, putting my privacy at risk. Ring states they respect our privacy, as well as videos could be encrypted. But to me it disappointing because it makes me feel ring is covering their liabilities but not thinking deeply about their customers privacy. It should probably be advertised ring does not work with vpn. So, I think under the current circustances the solution should be opt to send out a text of motion detection, so i can disable my vpn temporarily, log into app to review my ring. And when done re-enable my vpn. If this doesn't happen I have to switch to a competitor.

26-06-2023 01:00:22

Responses (3)

T
Hi @user49228. You can find information about Ring and VPNs [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052665251-Understanding-the-Ring-App-and-Virtual-Private-Networks-VPN-). As for sending a text message, that request can be added to our [Feature Request board](https://community.ring.com/c/products/feature-request-board/24). Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

28-06-2023 07:32:18

U
Very poor of Ring (Amazon) not to allow its customers to continue using their VPN. Ring’s weak argument is they can’t support them on a technical level and they blanket block for “security” reasons. However, no enterprise solution (I’m aware of) has this enforced in this way, and these solutions protect all manor of sensitive info and critical services. Technical - not an argument because it’s not a technical complexity (standard practice to allow VPN IPs access & the VPN is only to the VPN provider not Ring, if the VPN is rubbish that’s not Ring) Security - pathetic excuse to blanket block IPs, far far more sensitive resources online that do not do use this cheap block method. Hardly a “security” measure too.

27-10-2023 02:24:48

S
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

26-11-2023 02:25:29

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User