General Topics

Not sure where to look? Browse general posts, topics, conversations and more.
U
Chime rings without anybody pressing the doorbell / I've done all the basic debugging
hardwired-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
hardwired-battery-video-doorbell

I have:

• Ring "Video Doorbell"
  • Electro-mechanical chime with (x4) solenoids and an analog circuit
    • It uses an analog circuit to play a tone with the (x4) solenoids / bells
    • There is no manufacturer on the chime, so I cannot check it for compatibility

The chimes ring in the middle of the day and night and nobody has pressed the doorbell.  I have already:

1. Verified the wiring.  There are no shorts in the circuit.
  2. Verified the transformer.  It produces 18 VAC.  When a mechanical switch doorbell is pressed, it still supplies 18 VAC.
  3. The Ring Video Doorbell exhibits no signs of malfunction

Why won't this device help:  link?  It is an opto-isolator, sort of a semiconductor relay, that completely isolates the Ring Video Doorbell from the analog AC voltage of the chime.  Will this device provide the 5 VDC/1 A required by the Ring Video Doorbell to charge and operate the Ring device?

What are the detailed requirements for the 5 VDC/1 A input for the Ring Video Doorbell?  From posts, it seems that the Video Doorbell reboots itself, causing transients on the digital / analog connection to the chime.  Can somebody please be a lot more specific about its operation so I can find a technical solution to drive my electro-mechanical chime?

23-06-2024 11:45:44

Responses (1)

C

Hi @user_dd6fea. Which model of Ring Doorbell do you have? The specific model of Ring Doorbell you have (example: Video Doorbell 2) can be located on the Device Health page. There are some variances in power requirements and chime kit compatibility depending on which model of Doorbell you have. 

Given that you don't know the make and model of chime kit you have, there is no guarantee it is compatible with the Ring Doorbell model you have. I also can't speak for the use of third-party adapters or any configurations outside the recommended installation. Once I know the specific model of Doorbell you have, I can provide information on supported chime kits and the installation instructions. 

25-06-2024 07:50:35

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

D

Danielhrch

User
Solutions