Feature Request Board

Browse posts, comment and give us recommendations for improvement about features on Ring.com and in the Ring app.
W
User Solution
Local storage
alarm
product-request
ring-protect-plans
my area is seeing bandwidth issues, with everyone staying at home.. I want a local DVR that uploads to ring after it does it work, setup with modes, or different cams upload in different ways. also the ring app needs to be able to view from the dvr, before going to ring servers. I want to be able to buy a local storage device. The device cache my video when my internet is down or my internet is slow. The device would also cache 1tb of videos so my app could play them with speed when there is bandwidth issues. The device would still upload to ring, just in a different way. For example, my out door cams could upload to both right away, but my indoor cams only upload to ring depending on my alarm mode or time of day. Eventually all data would still be uploaded. How will this help the consumer: It will make ring work faster at homes and businesses. No more latency issues causing sound and video issues. No downtime due to internet outages. Less impact on bandwidth when motion is detected or when reviewing the last 1tb of videos. How will this help ring: A device to sale creates revenue. Using locally stored video, has less backhual/work for ring servers. Less client downtime, when ring has outages, means more client satisfaction. Possible throttling bandwidth if setup with modes or only sending motion to ring. Coding could also happen locally, creating less of an impact on ring servers.

21-03-2020 02:49:50

Responses (42)

C
User Solution

Hi @GuyOrohra. Local storage is already available with Ring Edge using the Ring Alarm Pro. Ring Edge allows you to store and process videos locally rather than on the cloud. You can read more information about this in our Help Center article here. This feature requires the Ring Alarm Pro.

05-08-2022 07:48:42

G
well, blink has this mechanism which does not help at all... the local storage is still on the "weak" wifi network, anyone can deauth it, jam it easily. and the loss of internet is blocking those local network device after a while anyway. Nothing can replace a local SDcard/ROM

27-10-2022 07:54:02

S

So, would we need to purchase the Ring Alarm Pro to enable this functionality? I’m only using the wired doorbell, flood lights with camera and an internal camera (USB), and I want to store recordings locally.

19-12-2023 03:35:43

C

Hi @ScottT. Yes, local recording with Ring Edge requires the Ring Alarm Pro and the Ring Protect Pro plan.

20-12-2023 04:09:50

S

OK Thanks, Caitlyn. I’m trying the standard plan for now.

20-12-2023 09:55:04

A
I have the same issue

28-03-2020 02:13:17

A
Please consider supporting RSTP streamming on both the DoorBell and Security Cameras. This protocol is widely used by most security cameras and would allow users to do personal integrations with other devices and products within their home.

09-04-2020 03:31:51

B
Having the ability to stream the video locally rather than via the internet would be a huge benefit for me. It currently takes too long for me to answer the doorbell video due to the time it takes to connect. By the time it does connect (If it actually gets there) who-ever pressed the button is long gone! I'd also like to be able to record video locally in the event of an internet outage since the doorbell does not have any local storage.

18-09-2020 04:31:53

W
To be clear this will not be solo local storage, ring server would still be used. Also you could maybe charge a small monthly fee for it. Kinda like a feature on demand or a subscription to keep it working.

12-04-2020 05:22:57

U
Ring could create the device to do this and customers could supply the local storage. less cost for ring and ring doesn't become a hard drive dealer and warranty provider for failing hard drives, also the customer could store as much video as he or she wanted and only have the last 30 days upload to Ring servers. This DVR device should also have a port to add a hdmi monitor to display all cameras at once also, would also need a hard wire Ethernet port.

16-04-2020 07:30:54

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User