Why does Motion detector detect when alarm disarmed

It may be me (Probably is) but even though my Ring alarm system is disarmed, whenever I pass my 2 motion detectors they send an alert to my app/phone? Have I set it up incorrectly in the app? Any help would be great as I have to do a lot of home working and I am constantly passing these detectors. Cheers

1 Like

Hi @keith47424. The Motion Detectors will still be on and detecting motion even when the system is disarmed, they just won’t trigger the alarm when motion is detected. You can disable the alerts for the Motion Detector in the Ring app by opening the menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > Motion Detector > toggle off the Motion Alerts. The Motion Detector will still be on and detect motion in the Event History, but you won’t get an alert. It will also still detect motion and trigger the alarm when the system is armed, even if the Motion Alerts are toggled off.

Some neighbors have requested the option to turn off the Motion Detectors completely, which you can find on the Feature Request board here. We use the Feature Request board as a way to gather and share feedback with our teams here. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Seems like a big waste of battery power if its sensing motion 24/7 for no reason.

1 Like

Agreed absolutely 100%. There should definitely be an option to have them shut down when disarmed

2 Likes

Sure clutters up the Event History with meaningless motion detection “events”.

1 Like

Ring Support - Alarm history is filled with useless motion detection events when alarm is disarmed not only draining battery but when needed, it is actually a big distraction. Cannot imagine even after complain why it is not being fixed. It is big flaw in such a great otherwise system.

Hi neighbors. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place.

The term “disarmed,” as used by Ring, seems inappropriate, with video still being captured and notifications being sent to mobile devices. There should be a ONE STEP process to shut off mobile notifications, motion detection and video capture (the latter two being a drain on battery resources). WOW! My Ring just went off as my son went out the door - and it’s in DISARMED MODE!!

Hi @MickyD2112, happy to chime in and offer some clarification. While you cannot control notifications based on the Mode, you can control whether or not your Ring Doorbells and Cameras detect and record motion depending on which Mode they’re in. You can learn more about the Modes feature in this Help Center article.