True Geofencing Needed!

Geofencing is extremely lacking in the Ring app. It should have the following options at least.

1. Geofencing to Enable/Disable all notifications of selected devices while Away/Home (not just mute them temporarily for up to 3 hours but completely disable them until you leave the geofenced area unless you manually set yourself to away)

2. Ability to have full control of what happens when entering or exiting the Geofenced area like;

* Enter/Exit the Geofenced area and you can have notification Enabled/Disabled, motion detection Enabled/Disabled, person detection Enabled/Disabled, microphone Enabled/Disabled or the cameras completely turned off. OR any combinations of these options on a per device instance.

* Enter/Exit the Geofenced area receive a notification that you've entered away mode or home mode or whatever you want to call it. Home Armed, Home Disarmed etc etc.

3. Ability to have multiple users on the Geofence rules. So let’s say in a 2 person home. Person 1 leaves but person 2 is still home. I should be able to set it to either set it to away or not set it to away. If all person leave then away mode should be activated. Then once either person is home (in the geofenced area) the system should go to home mode. Again this is on a device by device basis.

* So in a 4 person home, we shall call the occupants Mom, Dad, Junior and Missy. We have 4 cams total, Video Doorbell, Living room, Kitchen and Den. While all home, the Video Doorbell has Notifications on and smart alerts enabled. The other cams all have person and motion detection on but notifications off.

* A. Mom leaves the geofenced area. All 3 others are home. (System does nothing)
      * B. Dad leaves the geofenced area so both Mom and Dad are gone. Junior and Missy are still home so Mom and Dad want the Video Doorbell and Den cams to enable motion detection, person detection and notifications. Mom and Dad don't want the kids in the Den when they're not home.
      * C. Junior leaves and the system remains in the same state as option 2.
      * D. Missy leaves and the system enables motion and person detection on all internal cams and notifications.
      * E. If either Mom or Dad came home then the system returns to the Video Doorbell has Notifications on and smart alerts enabled. The other cams all have person and motion detection on but notifications off.
      * F. If either Junior or Missy comes home first the Video Doorbell has Notifications on and smart alerts enabled. The Living room and Kitchen have notifications turned off and the Den keeps notification on as Mom and Dad don't want the kids in there when they're not home.
      * G. Each time the Video Doorbell/Cameras state changes a notification should be sent. Something like Mom has arrived home and the house has changed to home mode. Or Junior has come home and the house has switched to Only the Kids are home or whatever you choose to name it.

If anyone has any other thoughts or ideas to make this better please add them and vote this post up. I don’t really understand how Ring doesn’t have the functionality already. It’s simple “If, Then” programming.

Agree 100%. Had I known geofencing works the way it does I would not have purchased Ring cameras.

1 Like

I’d like to replace my last few Arlo cameras and go across to Ring entirely (since otherwise I love the product) but Geofencing is the dealbreaker for me. Anyone who looks at the Arlo customer forums knows that their product is less than perfect but for me at least, it does the basics ie when all householders are away it automatically arms and disarms when one of us returns.