TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi bricking Ring cameras

Hi Damian,
The issues that I found are the signals that lead to bricking of a ring device that happened to my ring product

We can definitely understand the reluctancy to revert back to the ā€œfast roamingā€ configuration, but we can assure you itā€™s been tested many times on our side prior to notifying everyone here.

Could we get some kind of ticket reference to give to customer service so I donā€™t have to go through 2 hours of arguing and being told I donā€™t know what Iā€™m talking about?

How cna I be sure my Doorbell 2 has the latest firmware, designed to avert this problem?

Ok, I did as posted by moderator that it was ok to enable fast roaming. I enabled fast roaming on my TP-Link Deco M4 and now I get multiple notifications for each motion detected but it is not recording them, so if someone steals from my porch the ring is useless now. The worse part is I am paying premium price to have these events recorded! Everything worked fine before when fast roaming was disabled and on guest network. Here we go again all over again with the useless tech support!

@danfo this is on your battery device? Which one?

This is happening on my Ring Doorbell 2 with battery.

Can I cancel my subscription and have my money returned? I think I will just quit wasting my time trying to make this thing work and take my losses. Please donā€™t enable fast roaming it is not ready yet! I did and I get three or four notifications on the phone but thereā€™s nothing on history or no recording of the event and Iā€™m a subscriber that paid for the recordings.

I think they tested with old firmware on the deco systems I got the same results when testing on my battery ring door cam and battery stick up cam

So, just a bit of feedback. I tried to do as you suggested and it bricked my third doorbell. Ring really needs to get their act together. I didnā€™t sign up to beta test this product. Now I get to waste my time explaining this to a customer service representative (again.) Come on Ring! You can do better than this! :angry:

Jennifer_Ring, Marley_ring Hi All,

okay so I connected my ring door cam back to the TP-Link M4 mess network to test for any changes.

Test one I connected to my main M4 mess network

1. Live view okay pass
  2. motion Fail got four notifcations for one motion and didnt record that motion
  3. Ring of door all okay.

Test two connected to my mess network via guest network

1. Live view delayed took a long time to connect Fail
  2. Motion ** Fail** got four notifcations for one motion and didnt record that motion but only after five minutes after the event then got the good old four notifcations
  3. Ring of door bell Fail didnt get notifcation for couple minutes later then got four notifcations for that event

For the Above tests Ihad FAST roaming turned on all the time.

So guys this FIX DOSENT WORK

I have now connected my ring door cam back to a seprate network just for my ring devices until they FIX THIS Issue but could be along wait taken them four months to get this far.

In conclusion when I recieved the message from the commuity manager I was think great work. but no total Fail.

So if you want your Ring devices to work set up a normal old WIFI network Like I have.

I did this as alot of other neighbors were not happy to try your fix.

I turned off fast roaming once again but I suppose the damage is done as Iā€™m still getting like four notifications for each event but timeline or history doesnā€™t show it but every now and then (maybe one out of 10 greatly delayed) and of course no recording of event.

Out of the many, many tech devices I have, this has by far been the most troublesome.

Acually itā€™s a shame this is even still on the market, but Iā€™m sure word will eventually get out.

I also do not appreciate being the Beta Tester for a device I paid full price for and paid good money for a subscription for cloud recording thatā€™s not recording! I guess itā€™s BBB time.

@DiverRich @danfo @magicton As mentioned, the team tested this and we would never purposely let our neighbors down. Please email me directly at chelsea@ring.com and Iā€™m more than happy to take a further look into this.

@Jennifer_Ring - Email sent along with my phone number. Would appreciate a call as soon as possible.

Almost funny that it still shows ā€œSolvedā€ status except I have felt the pain that other ā€œneighborsā€ are once again feelingā€¦ *SMH*

TP-Link is not behaving any better as they simply point the finger at Ring being the problem. I wish Ring and TP-Link would realize that customers would.benefit from some co-operated development and testing. They could maybe could even find a way to market that committment as compatibility is a BIG issue in the Smart Home arena.

@Jennifer_Ring - Email sent along with my phone number. Look forward to a call as soon as possible.

@Jennifer_Ring

Email sent to you as requested

@nastybynature wrote:
Almost funny that it still shows ā€œSolvedā€ status except I have felt the pain that other ā€œneighborsā€ are once again feelingā€¦ *SMH*

TP-Link is not behaving any better as they simply point the finger at Ring being the problem. I wish Ring and TP-Link would realize that customers would.benefit from some co-operated development and testing. They could maybe could even find a way to market that committment as compatibility is a BIG issue in the Smart Home arena.

I do think that Ring is the problem. I counted last evening and I have 28 devices on wifi and the only one with issues is the Ring Doorbell 2. This list includes cameras and IoT devices, laptops running windows, macOS, linux. The list also includes Android phones, Galaxy watches and android watches and tablets and iPad.

Totally agree, the issue seems to be with the fast roaming standard ring canā€™t handle (and for a very strange reason even limited to their battery operated devices).
Moving to another WiFi brand wonā€™t solve the issue.
This is the reason I also posted to tplink forum but didnā€™t push/complain.

hi guys I just spent the last hour emailing Jennifer at ring she does not have a direct phone line so she we can talk to you on the telephone she only wants to communicate by email and they want a guinea pig to test out their firmware I have declined I donā€™t have the time with donā€™t as I donā€™t believe what Iā€™m saying so we going to get anywhere.
I have explained that for one motion or get for notifications it doesnā€™t have loads of ring when you go to live you you donā€™t get any live view connection she doesnā€™t seem to believe me they want me to turn it on to reconnect to the mesh network and secular timestamps at cetera I donā€™t have a time to do this they need to do this SL using the correct firmware and the correct system I donā€™t believe they have tested it they want guinea pigs Iā€™m sorry Iā€™m not prepared for your guinea pig I would like to help but this is silly