TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi bricking Ring cameras

Hi neighbors-- want to clarify a few things:

This fix is for devices that bricked when fast roaming was enabled. Now, you are able to have fast roaming enabled and your device should not **brick. **

Your device will need to be _currently _online for the device to receive the proper update before enabling fast roaming. If your device is currently offline **, please contact our support team to get it up and running before enabling fast roaming. **

**If you enable fast roaming and your device properly connects, that means the fix worked. That being said, if you are experiencing any other difficulties, either start a new thread or contact our support team to further assist. **

**If your device is 1.) currently online 2.) you enabled fast roaming and it 3.) resulted in a bricked or unresponsive device , please privately email me at chelsea@ring.com so the team can take a look. **

**Thank you! **

Yepā€¦ I donā€™t care if there are some notifications that do not work. What matters to me is that the device wonā€™t brick itself when fast roaming is active.

No help here, but I spoke with a CSR yesterday on the phone who was aware of the problem. After some checking with the ā€œAdvance Teamā€ he said they advised not use the Video Doorbell 2 with the Deco M4 at this time as the problem is NOT fixed. Their solution was to use a stand alone WiFi network that isnā€™t the M4.

Thx for the info, if not for this sharing we wouldnā€™t know anything.<br>And again changing WiFi system is not a solution, itā€™s the 802.11r standard thatā€™s causing issues. I would rather advice to not buy any ring device for the time being or swap ring to another brand as the problem is not with the wifi vendor. Also as all of you notice the way this is handled doesnā€™t provide me confidence I the general bugfixing of Ring. Canā€™t say there is a lot of positive publicity lately (privacy related) and thatā€™s even without this issue (of which iā€™m surprised it didnā€™t receive more attention from hardware site, doesnā€™t seem a trivial thing).

Hi All,

After lots of email to Jennifer. she is not interested about the other Issues she is only interested about bricking of our devices after the new firmware update.

She as advised to open an new thread which I have done link below,

https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Ring-Video-door-cam-not-working-with-TP-Link-Deco-M4-Mesh/m-p/1721#M496

below is message from Jennifer.

My only concern is the fix that was implemented the other day (8/8). Anything before that, I can not comment on what or how it effected your device. From August 8 and moving forward, I can comment and assure you turning on fast roaming for your Ring Device should not result in a bricked device.

Jennifer FinefrockCommunity Manager

I have two cocoon devices (security cameras and audio detectors), an Aldi external camera, a cheap chinese robot camera, all operating on the same wifi network, a ^irginmedia network originally, then a TP-Link Archer C7 router, now a Deco M4 mesh network.

ALL operate with no changes as I kept the same ssid and password, I can view the Coccoon video almost instantly, definatelty no worse than before, the chinese camera is instant, as is the external camera (via iVideon service)

I can RDP to my PC at home and even watch video on the screen with no noticable issues, broadband is 360MB so everything is pretty fast, exceptā€¦ Ring Doorbell 2 has always been slow to respond, live view takes an age to see, someone presses the bell, I respond and there is no one there, it takes so long they have left. Now I have issues of mutiple movement notifications and cant see live view most of the time, just ā€œconnectingā€¦ā€ on a black screen, and fast roaming has always been disabled.

I just wish it worked like their advertsā€¦

Hi @spot to confirm, are you experiencing this with fast roaming on or off?

I never switched fast roaming on, tbh I darent.

In any event, because of the 4 extra notifications for motion I switched to a 2.4Ghz only wifi off my router and response times are much better, only 1 notification and immediately I can get into a live view, I ā€˜believeā€™ audio is OK as I disabled the event history as I tried to talk to my wife and I heard the audio , but she ignored me :frowning:

So not fully tested but better currently with a sub optimal bodge

So, is anyone yet able to confirm that itā€™s safe to enable fast roaming?

Hi @RCC if youā€™d like to work together on this you are welcome to email me at chelsea@ring.com. Thank you.

Jennifer_ring, I appreciate your attentiveness to the thread but you didnā€™t answer the question. There are many other people with the same question as RCC.

The team went through major testing on this and we are told it has now been resolved. As mentioned in my previous posts,

"This fix is for devices that bricked when fast roaming was enabled. Now, you are able to have fast roaming enabled and your device should not ** brick. **

Your device will need to be _currently _online for the device to receive the proper update before enabling fast roaming. If your device is currently offline **, please contact our support team to get it up and running before enabling fast roaming. **

**If you enable fast roaming and your device properly connects, that means the fix worked. That being said, if you are experiencing any other difficulties, either start a new thread or contact our support team to further assist. **

If your device is 1.) currently online 2.) you enabled fast roaming and it 3.) resulted in a bricked or unresponsive device , please privately email me at chelsea@ring.com so the team can take a look. "

Neighbors have reported that they recieved multiple notifications, but I do not have confirmation of that, nor examples. I sent that feedback immediately to the team, who began testing but were not able to reproduce. However, it appears that if the device was online with fast roaming enabled and they were able to get notifcations (whether that was multiple or not), then the beginning issue of ā€˜fast roaming enabled bricking devicesā€™ has been resolved. However, I use resolved lightly, as if you are getting multiple notifications we will want to dive deep and look into what may be causing it, but I will need timestamps of when that happened and examples, which is why I have provided my email to work with anyone willing to work with me in more detail. I also want to stress that your device will currently need to be online for the device to receive the update. It will not work if your device is offline as it then did not receive the update so it will continue to be bricked.

Thank you for the clarification. It is much appreciated.

Great news

And I guess the multiple notifications issue should be its own thread, my problem with the 4 notifications for each motion alert was solved instantly by using a non mesh WiFi network.

My issue with ring device audio was mostly resolved (not fully tested my end yet) by disabling the event history option, in fact I can no longer see this in the app, has it been removed?

Hello,

To clarify, Now Ring devices are fully supported by Deco M5 ?

No need to disable any features ?

Thanks.

Itā€™s more than 24 hours ago that I enabled Fast Roaming, and Iā€™m pleased to say that I have not yet encountered problems. My Stickup Cams and Doorbell 2 are behaving exactly as they should. Motion is being detected and a single alert is generated for each occurrence. Live View is working just fine, and Iā€™m cautiously optimistic. For the record, I have 2 Stickup Cams (wired), a Doorbell 2, and a Chime, and my network setup is a TP-Link Deco M5. I hope this information is helpful to other Neighbours (with apologies, if necessary, for my UK spelling!). Iā€™ll continue to monitor and post if I encounter any problems, but Iā€™m feeling very positive at the moment.

3 Likes

Is there anything I have to do to the cameras themselves. Do they automatically update? Donā€™t want to enable the Deco and spend hours of my day in tech support to get cameras replaced.
Thanks

Hi they update them selfā€™s

2 Likes

Itā€™s now 3 full days since I enabled Fast Roaming, and Iā€™m still problem-free. As far as Iā€™m concerned, this means problem solved. I hope this helps others.

1 Like

While I am happy to hear thisā€¦ I canā€™t help but wonder what happens when TP-Link updates their firmware againā€¦? Unless they are going to test it first, i assume it would be potentially a repeat of the previous ā€œgo ahead, we fixed itā€ situation. I will remain optimistic but will continue to error on the side of caution as I have not had to change out a doorbell or call techsupp for a few weeks and am actually enjoying getting other projects completed.