Separate settings per Motion Zone including recording and notifications

Same here, just got the wired spotlight camera installed.
Would be great to simply record sidewalk/road and just get notifications if someone/something moves on the driveway or at thefront door.

2 Likes

I’d like to be able to set motion schedules per zone. At night I want it to record traffic on the street, but during day there’s too much so I’d like that zone to be disabled. Right now ‘motion schedule’ is not zone specific and disable all your zones.

8 Likes

Definitely a useful feature. You should also be able to filter playback by motion zone.

Two ideas which I think would be useful.

We have a peephole camera and a floodlight camera.

1. The floodlight camera has a single sensitivity for the 3 motion zones. It would be great it those were independent. e.g. maximum range on the sides but shorter range in center so the lights don’t trigger when a car drives down the street.

2. You can set multiple ‘zones’ but they all use the same settings. It would be gret if you could specify different settings, e.g. notify or don’t notify, for each zone.
    You could then have a zone close to the house that will send you a notification for movement and have another zone that is further away, say covering the street, that simply records but does not notify.

And thirdly, pleas fix the app so that it can send notifications to echo show devices and actually have the echo show respond and show the video.

1 Like

I would like this too. My wifes car was broken into but as it’s on street I didn’t have a recording, just a picture. I’ve changed the motion area to the cover the car but now motion alerts are turned off as there is constant motion. Coupled with this is the reqiurement to search through videos more easily.

6 Likes

Not sure what the value of 3 different zones if they can’t be treated differently in notifications. I want to capture video of street to help with neighborhood issues (thefts etc) but don’t want to be notified everytime someone drives down the street

2 Likes

Currently we have motion zones that we can alert on, I find that a lot of people walk over my drive in a daily basis and I simply don’t want to be alerted 500x a day but I do want the motion recorded incase any damage is recorded

Currently I either have to reduce the motion zone to just by my front door, or turn off all motion alerts.

It would be great if we could set a motion zone that records all motion without altering and another ‘alert’ zone that alerts if there is motion in a certain area.

So splitting alerts and motion rather than them being one in the same.

3 Likes

Agreed, the app needs the feature to create different alerts for different motion zones. I want a sound notification alert when someone is on my doorstep but just want to record video for the bigger zone around my property.

Please sort this Ring!

1 Like

I have the same suggestion. I want to get notified when people show up at my front door (motion zone 1), but I don’t want to get notified when cars show up in front of my house (motion zone 2) yet I want it recorded (I live in a cul-de-sac).

2 Likes

This is a feature I would also like to see. I have one zone infront of my door I’d like to just record but another zone that only somebody up to no good would trigger I’d like notifications on

2 Likes

I want to have:

1. One motion zone that is monitored and gives alerts (anytime, my front yard/driveway)
  2. A different motion zone that is monitored and records with no alerts on a separate schedule (night time, road directly in front of my house, my mailbox)

Currently, theres little use for multiple motion zones. Seems like this is a very easy fix that is not being done with the intent of making people purchase additional devices.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Ring has been asked for this feature for over 3 years. We always just get the same BS response that they will “pass it on” to their development team. Between this issue, and Ring refusing to make or allow a REAL¹ glass break sensor to be used with their alarm, im about to dump Ring for good.

¹ I know they BS workaround using an Amazon echo, but that skill, when used will not trigger an alarm if glass is broken. Therefore, it is useless.

For Floodlight Cam, in the app I can customize the motion zones by adjusting the polygon boundaries. Great. But for each polygon I need to be able to select-on or select-off two different independent actions I want FC to do when it sees motion in the polygon: (1) starting record and send alert, (2) turn on light. There are plenty of zones around my home where all I want FC to do when it sees motion is turn the light on. In those zones there is no need to record video or to send a motion alert.

I wondered why one would have more than one Motion Zone, since Notification and recording is identical on every zone. Ring Tech told me: _“There are multiple Motion Zones so that neighbors can choose where they want to be notified of motion.” _

OK, that answers the question, but I am with each of you who posted in this suggestion dialog. Ring, please allow us to create Motion Zones that can be configured such as:

Motion Zone 1 - record every event and send notification

Motion Zone 2 - record every event but DON’T send notification

For example: my Ring Pro can see the front porch, yard, street, and neighbor’s house across the street. If someone would run over my mailbox by the curb, I’d like that to be recorded, but then being in Motion Zone 2, the steady flow of cars and pedestrians would cause far too many notifications.

_…_I’m not sure what the options are for neighbors because I have that feature turned off. The house directly across the street has a Ring Doorbell, and I’m not interested in seeing them come and go, even though I could.

5 Likes

Titan175: you have asked essentially the question I came on line to ask. I have Spotlight Cam Solars and want to change sensitivity for different customized zones. If that option is available, I’ve not yet found how to implement that. Have you?

Unfortunately not. With certain cameras you can set up different zones. But you can not change the sensitivity for each of them. My driveway camera is always recording due to this.

Please consider adding a function to the Ring app allowing users to set an independent custom motion schedule for each Motion Zone. Currently, only one motion schedule can be assigned to a device, even if multiple zones were created. This means all of a device’s Motion Zones are activated or deactivated simultaneously.

Customized motion schedules for each zone grant users the ability to choose the times that each Motion Zone will send a notification, lessening the number of unwanted motion alerts. During the day, for example, I’d like to only get motion alerts from the Motion Zone covering the path leading up to my front door. I don’t want to be notified of the many people walking past my house on the public sidewalk. At night, though, I would love to have a larger Motion Zone that covers not only this path but also the public sidewalk and my driveway.

Since the latest Ring app upgrade ended the ability to activate and inactivate Motion Zones, I must create a larger Motion Zone every night and delete it every morning. It would be wonderful to have each of my Motion Zones respond to an individualized schedule.

I’d appreciate any consideration you make toward adding this functionality to the Ring app.

I agree, also the ability to adjust the motion sensitivity in each zone.

6 Likes

+1 for adding this feature. It really seems silly that it can’t do this already.

2 Likes

Would love to see this for the doorbell pro as well (Motion Zones so that Zone 1 only records and Zone 2 will record & send me a notification) etc.

2 Likes