Ring Intercom Problem: Ritto 17230/.0

Hi There

I got my Ring Intercom yesterday and did wire it up with my Ritto 17230/.0 as described in the setup guide. I did use the wiring cables „B“ and connected B1 (Ring out) > a (Ritto in) and B2 (Ring out) > b (Ritto in).

What is working?

• unlock the main entrance
  • get notified if someone presses the button at my apartment
  • voice (mic + speaker) is working

The issue is that I‘m not getting a notification if the button outside is getting pressed. I already tried all possible wiring combinations (almost killed the Ritto) but nothing helped - the issue persists.

Did anyone have a similar problem and was able to solve it? Or does anyone understand how the Ritto twinbus system works and what I could try to fix this by myself?

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

Regards, Koopa

1 Like

Do you mean you’re not receiving the notification on your phone?

Are the Call button events being listed in your Event History?

A button call that goes unanswered on the smartphone via the notification (you might still answer it using the handset) eventually appears in the Event History as follows - it seems to take about 2 minutes after the button call occurs before the “Missed Ring” event appears in the Event History:

If you’re seeing the above but not receiving the phone notifications, then the failure to receive notifications on the phone might be a software issue (Android/iOS and the Ring app).

Ring phone notifications do work… mostly… (Android 10, here)

Notifications are working flawless.

The issue seems to be the wiring: the Ring Intercom reacts to the doorbell-button which is directly at my apartment (inside the building). It should react to the button outside the building where visitors and guests are ringing.

OK, so the problem you have is that the “Call” button isn’t working.

For a 2-wire system this is almost certainly going to be an issue for Ring to resolve in software/firmware so you may need to contact them directly.

I did not know this is named the „call button“, but yes… looks like this described my problem. The call button is working on the Ritto system what means if someone uses the call button I hear the doorbell but Ring Intercom does not recognize it.

Its almost like the call button and the doorbell are switched and Ring can‘t handle it.

Yeah, sorry for being pedantic but using something close to the correct “intercom terminology” when discussing issues is likely going to save everyone a lot of confusion & time! :smile:

1 Like

No worries. This is a good and very important point. I guess its also affected by my not native english :wink:

I found some interesting threads in other forums (Nuki Opener und Ritto 17230 - #12 by elefant - Questions - Nuki Developers) for another not named manufacturer. It seems like there are (almost) similar issues with Ritto products independet of the smart home component manufacturer.

Also an important input - maybe for Ring in this case - are the possible difference wirings of the installed system (Ritto in my case) in the building. Todays technology is mostly based on BUS systems and I think there should be a way that Ring could measure which signals runs trough which BUS wires (or at least compare the incoming signals to the expected ones) and give the enduser in the setup wizard more dynamic advice on detected errors.

Hey, Neighbors! If you are having issues with your Ring Intercom, you can feel free to contact our support team here. You can contact them via Email or Phone! I hope this helps!

only when doing that I’m told by chat support to call technical support and then technical support tells me they can’t help with wiring and I should call an electrician :upside_down_face:

Yours is definitely a bus system, meaning Ring intercom must have learned the signals. Did you go through the testing phase? If yes, which call button did you press? The one on your apartment or the button outside the building? Whichever you pressed will be the one it will respond to. If you want to use a different call button you might have to delete the device and re-setup using the correct button.

@kwat what is the issue you see on yours?

Interesting.

Yes, I did go trough the testing. Initially I did press the call button outside but the test never ended successful. I tried it several times but I guess without changing the wiring.
Then I had the idea try to press the call button inside and it the test ended successful. After that i tried to change the wiring to get the call button outside working without creating a new setup but nothing helped.

If I‘m understanding it correctly, I have to find the correct wiring for the call button outdoor while setting up the device? As far as I understood the call button indoor is not part of the bus?

1 Like

I have the same problem as Koopa with my Ritto 4630 Intercom (Twinbus).
I see the same behaviour:
-the call button outside at the frontdoor is not noticed bei the Ring intercom
-instead the call botton inside (beneath the door to my flat, in german it’s called “ED=Etagendrücker”) ist recognized from the Ring intercom.

Looks like an adressing permutation with the Twinbus.

I called the ring intercom support team on 30th of Oct. After short analysis they transferred the problem to the development engineers (3rd level support).

Until now I got no feedback about the status.

1 Like

Thanks Frank. I would appreciate if you could provide more details if you receive a redponse from Ring support.

Today I will try to measure the currencies/amps on the lines I wired. My suspect is that the wiring in the building are not made as they should be. With the measurement I hope to see a difference in the amps of the ED and the Twinbus (should be much lower than ED). If I can solve the Problem I‘ll let you know.

Sure, I will provide feedback from the intercom support team here in the forum.

There are different wiring schemes with the Twinbus. This is mine:

(though only 2 floors instead of 3 used)
Wiring scheme

I see, so you are saying that the Ring device wires are only connected to “a” and “b” (not to ED) when you tried learning from building (outside) call button but it never succeeded. Then you tried the apartment call button and everything worked? Were the wires still connected to “a” and “b” ?

Can you confirm that when some one presses the building call button you hear the tone on your handset and you can talk to your guest and unlock the building door? Then when they come up to your apartment, they need to press your apartment call button.

But I don’t understand how this apartment call button works in your case. Could you please elaborate? Does this call button also ring your ritto handset or some other chime/bell? If it does ring your ritto handset, can you talk to them after lifting the handset? I am not sure how that would be possible unless there is a mic/speaker outside your apartment as well which is also connected to your ritto handset.

My understanding is that the Ring device wires only need to connect to “a” and “b”. Never to ED. And the call button it is supposed to recognize is the building call button and never the apartment call button. I would suggest that that you only connect with wires to “a” and “b” and only try learning on the outside door. If it fails, contact CS. My friend has a ritto system and he contacted them. He only has the outdoor call button but learning was not succeeding. CS told him that there could be issues with the signal if the wiring is too long and they are testing new update on this system which seems to have worked. But you would need to contact CS for this so they can update your device to see if it works.

1 Like

Dave, let me try to answer your questions:

Question 1: I see, so you are saying that the Ring device wires are only connected to “a” and “b” (not to ED) when you tried learning from building (outside) call button but it never succeeded. Then you tried the apartment call button and everything worked? Were the wires still connected to “a” and “b” ?
Can you confirm that when some one presses the building call button you hear the tone on your handset and you can talk to your guest and unlock the building door? Then when they come up to your apartment, they need to press your apartment call button.
Answer: My Ring intercon device is only connected to wires “a” and “b” (only the Ritto Twinbus, see photo below)
With this wiring I tried both szenarios:
a) Pressing the call button at the front door outside the building: Was not detected by the Ring device.
b) Pressing the call button at the door to my flat inside the building: Is detected by the Ring device. After that:

• A notifification in the Ring app is received.
  • A bi-directional voice-communication from the Ring app to the front door outside the building is possible.
  • The front door can be unlocked

Question 2: But I don’t understand how this apartment call button works in your case. Could you please elaborate? Does this call button also ring your ritto handset or some other chime/bell? If it does ring your ritto handset, can you talk to them after lifting the handset? I am not sure how that would be possible unless there is a mic/speaker outside your apartment as well which is also connected to your ritto handset.
Answer: I see that the wiring of the apartment call button (ED) goes inside the electronic of the Rito intercom. I think that the electronic converts the signal (button pressing) into a package/telegram on the Ritto TwinBus. (But that is only my guess.) Otherwise the Ring intercom would have no chance to detect the apartment call button (ED). After detecting a ring from the apartment call button (ED) as it does actually.
I can talk to the front door outside the building. (The ED has no mic/speaker, only a simple 2-wire-button).

Question 3: My understanding is that the Ring device wires only need to connect to “a” and “b”. Never to ED. And the call button it is supposed to recognize is the building call button and never the apartment call button. I would suggest that that you only connect with wires to “a” and “b” and only try learning on the outside door. If it fails, contact CS. My friend has a ritto system and he contacted them. He only has the outdoor call button but learning was not succeeding. CS told him that there could be issues with the signal if the wiring is too long and they are testing new update on this system which seems to have worked. But you would need to contact CS for this so they can update your device to see if it works.
Answer: That is exactly also mine understanding. I never wired the Ring intercom to the ED.
I don’t think that the length of the bus wiring is a problem, because the transfer of bidirectional-audio from/to the Ring intercom and the Ring app is working.
I already contacted Ring support over one week ago and sent them the findings of Koopa from this thread.

Hi Dave

At the moment I‘m back at the original configuration from the setup guide, the wiring is done as it has to be.

The behavior is exactly the same as Frank described. Additionally I‘m getting an alert when someone is pressing the inside call button from any of the appartments in the same building.

I‘ll wait for the case which Frank did open at Rind support. If the solution contains an individual update I‘ll call them too.

Regards
Koopa

1 Like

Today I decided to remove my Ring Intercom from the App and restarted the whole installation. I used the original wiring which has been shown in the setup process (b1 > a, b2> b). Then I went outside, started the tests and it worked. In the last step, pressing the outside call button worked and the setup process ended successful. I was really surprised.

The only problem which persists: there is no notification in the Ring app. This time nothing at all. It doesnt matter if I press the outside call button or the one inside and right in front of my apartment.

Very strange!

@frank_th maybe you could try the setup again and see what happens on your site?

Additional information:
The door opener and also the speech function are working. Only the call button is not.

1 Like

Tested again. Now everything works :grinning:

It looks like there was an update which fixed this Issue. It would be nice to see the firmware and also release notes in the ring app.

@frank_th I hope yours is working too?

2 Likes